× Members

using a manual wheelchair at face to face assessme

More
5 years 3 months ago #225441 by JoFrog
hi I have a face to face assessment I can only walk up to 20 yards and have to stop .and rest .the assessment place where iam going is about 200 yards from the carpark would it look bad if I used a wheelchair to go to the assessment ?the wheel chair is a attendant propelled so my partner will be pushing me in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225491 by Gordon
Jo

Why would it look bad if you are saying that you cannot walk more than 20m?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #225501 by JoFrog
Hi Gordon thanks for your reply , I have had to buy this wheelchair myself to help me get to all my doctors/hospital appointments as I have limited mobility , I just thought that by buying my own wheelchair and it not being prescribed to me that it would make a difference at the assessment with the health care assistant . The reason I asked also is because having a rest for a while till the pain I receive eases a little means I can continue to walk but at a slower pace than before but I still get pain and discomfort when I continue to walk and with me using the wheelchair to go into the assessment room I just thought they might think that I'm not actually trying to show them how far I can walk , or that they will just presume that I can walk further than I actually can. But this is not the case as I haven't slept for days due to this assessment, I haven't eaten well at all, I'm in constant pain, I'm stressed distressed anxious panicking over this . Also Gordon I am having the assessment recorded , I have made a statement about the things I have missed about my condition and how it affects me day to day off the ESA form is it in my right to have my wife read it out on my behalf ? or can they refuse her to do so ? thanks.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225542 by Gordon
Jo

Your attending in a wheelchair isn't going to stop them exploring how far you can walk and remember the test also includes your ability to self-propel a manual wheelchair.

I would give the statement to the assessor and ask them to read it and include it in your file before they return it the DWP. I would also send a copy to the DWP office dealing with your claim with a covering letter explaining what it is.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.