× Members

ESA medical

More
5 years 3 months ago #225514 by Daphne Rose
ESA medical was created by Daphne Rose
I had an ESA medical, having completed the forms with help from this website. I have been medically retired for 29 years. I am 9 months off getting my pension, and I have just been informed that I have scored no points. I have an above knee amputation, no hip on one side, a degenerative spinal condition, and am waiting for an operation on my good knee. How is that worth no points? I said that every step I take hurts, but that doesn't count either. Apparently pain is not counted as a factor. I asked for a mandatory reconsideration, which I can do once I get the official paperwork and medical report through. I was advised that I could claim UC in the meantime, which would be less than my ESA was, and if I get UC, then I cannot continue with the reconsideration and appeal if necessary. They really have got you over a barrel.I have told them I want an MR and I will appeal if necessary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225547 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA medical
Daffers

Was this a new claim?

You mention problems with walking but ESA is not a walking test, it is a Mobility test! In addition to your walking, it considers your ability to self-propel a manual wheelchair over the same distances, you do not need to be using a wheelchair or even to own one for it to be considered. SO even if you can show your walking is restricted unless you can also show that you cannot self-propel the wheelchair you will still not score points.

You don't have to claim UC but there is no other benefit available to you during the MR process. If you do claim UC then you cannot return to ESA but if your MR or appeal is successful then the award will carry forward into UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.