× Members

Home Visit - PIP Assessment

More
5 years 3 months ago #225556 by Belle2018
Home Visit - PIP Assessment was created by Belle2018
Hi,

Thanks for all your work on this great website and for your time.

Even with over 15 medical evidence, I was surprised to receive a letter for home assessment given I was awarded DLA indefinitely over 20 years ago for a permanent condition that has gotten worse since then and will only get worse in the future.

Could you please tell me whether the assessor will wish to look around my home?

Also, is it true that I can ask the assessor to read out their notes during the assessment and insist on correcting any untruths?

I'm mulling over recording the assessment. Is there any proof that recorded interviews have higher success rates instead of the lies l've read about on so many threads here? I can't really afford or even find dual recording equipments. Any suggestions of such equipments please?

Am I able to claim for my brother to travel from Liverpool to Sussex to support me for the interview?

Thank you very much for your time. Much appreciated.

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225568 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Home Visit - PIP Assessment
Belle

Nearly all DLA to PIP claimants have a face to face assessment, the fact that you have a home assessment is some recognition of your problems but the two benefits have fundamentally
different criteria which is why so many need to be seen.

Our PIP Claim guide has sections on the assessment and the questions you are likely to be asked.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

The assessor is a visitor in your house and has no more right to look around than anybody else coming to your home, in practice, it is extremely rare for them to ask.

You can ask to see their notes, they may refuse although the DWP guidance says they should allow it but understand that the report is produced in two parts and the bulk of it, including their opinions and recommendations, will only be written once they have left you.

Based on what we see in the forum, good assessors will write good reports and bad ones won't, recording them seems to make little difference. You will need permission in advance, recordings can be made to two "cheap" cassette recorders, you cannot use a digital device such as a phone.

I think it very unlikely that they will cover your brother's expenses but you lose nothing by asking.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belle2018

More
5 years 3 months ago #225593 by Belle2018
Replied by Belle2018 on topic Home Visit - PIP Assessment
Gordon, thank you so much for taking the time to give such comprehensive and reassuring answers. Yes, I downloaded your very useful Guide to complete the application, otherwise would have missed so many things!

More
5 years 3 months ago #225765 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Home Visit - PIP Assessment
Belle
Whatever you do, do not assume just because you had DLA indefinite aware for a condition that will worsen that it automatically entitles you to PIP - it just doesn't and the process is different - and many people get upset by that. The amount of medical back up you have also does not guarantee anything. I had a home visit and the assessor did not ask or comment about anything other than how long it took me to get downstairs. I was lucky my assessor was nice and she let my friend speak for me - but that was partially because I had sent in comprehensive information. There is no consistency over what they allow. You're already reading the guides and the sort of questions you may be asked - be warned they can throw in a curve ball and ask something you're not expecting. I was asked what my last job title was - I couldn't actually remember until she'd left!
Wishing you the best with it.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belle2018

More
5 years 1 month ago #229633 by Belle2018
Replied by Belle2018 on topic Home Visit - PIP Assessment
Thank you BIS. Apologies, only saw your response today! I've come online to write about successful outcome. Thanks again and all the very best.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.