× Members

Re: Carer's Allowance & Universal Credit

More
5 years 3 months ago #225678 by Destiny
Hi All

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place so apologies if not.

My Niece wgo cares for me is in receipt if carers allowance. Before claiming, she consulted with the UC department and was informed her Universal Credit benefit would not be affected/she could proceed to claim the carer's allowance.

She was also notified she may be entitled to a carers premium to top up the amount of Universal Credit received.

However, she has today contacted the department for UC re a different matter and has veen notified her UC payment is going to be reduced due to her being in receipt of the carers allowance.

She was told the carers allowance is classed as a second income when it will be deducted from the Universal Credit.

Could somebody please explain if this is right??

I'm annoyed that she consulted with UC and was yold it is ok to apply and her UC will not be affected and now been told this.

No letter received to report this/the reduction in payment. Only been told over the phone when dealing with a separate matter!

Hope somebody can help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225695 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re: Carer's Allowance & Universal Credit
Destiny

I'm afraid it is correct, other Income Related Benefits such as ESA(IR) and Income Support have the same rule, she still has a net increase in her UC payments due to the Carers Element being paid.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.