× Members

ESA Mandatory Reconsideration Refusal

More
5 years 3 months ago #225950 by Margaret Cave
ESA Mandatory Reconsideration Refusal was created by Margaret Cave
My daughters mandatory reconsideration for ESA enhanced payments has been refused. She was claiming for LCW but as she currently works for 24 hours per week although having minimal cerebral palsy and learning difficulties she has been refused. The main reason for claiming was in order to reinstate the deficiencies left after moving from DLA and the disability working tax credits to UC and PIP - she has lost the health benefits eg, free prescriptions, dental and optical and I wished for this to be reinstated in recognition of her limited capability for work. Is it worth continuing to tribunal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225984 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Mandatory Reconsideration Refusal
M

Forgive me if I am a little bit confused, you cannot receive ESA or the LCW element of Universal Credit if you are working for 16 or more hours a week.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #226093 by Margaret Cave
Replied by Margaret Cave on topic ESA Mandatory Reconsideration Refusal
I was advised to claim the enhanced payments by Universal Credits themselves as I queried that my dayghter's disabilities were not being recognised and that she had been exempt from prescription charges etc prior to coming off dla and Working tax credits (disability). So we went through the harrowing process of Work assessment and then mandatory reconsideration - are you now saying that this was the wrong advice and no-one at DWP bothered to inform me? Can I then claim maladministration for this?

More
5 years 3 months ago #226104 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Mandatory Reconsideration Refusal
M

I can't really comment on what you were advised but you have said that your daughter is working 24 hours a week and this prevents a claim for ESA or UC LCW.

What was the Decision that she received?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #226125 by Margaret Cave
Replied by Margaret Cave on topic ESA Mandatory Reconsideration Refusal
The decision stated that as she works for 24 hours per week then she has shown capability for work and does not qualify. However the nature of her work is as follows: 16 hours working for a disability programme who set up small businesses for people with disabilities mainly learning difficulties - she works in a small laundry washing towels (for hairdressers etc), her other job was secured by the Shaw Trust working 8 hours as a check-out operator in a retail store. Both these jobs are under strict supervision at all times and allowances made for her disabilities according to the employment law. She cannot work longer than 24 hours a week as her disabilities cause her excessive tiredness therefore she is limited to part-time work. Her montlyearnings are approximately £700 which is more than the UC level of £317 per month so she gets nothing from them. Obviously she is at a disadvantage within the job market. The health professional who conducted the assessment says she is capable of doing work to a limited degree. I Just do not know whether to continue to tribunal stage. She does not need the money just the reinstatement of free health benefits that she had under DLA and Working Tax Credits.

Any advice from you would be appreciated.

More
5 years 3 months ago #226136 by Stewart
Replied by Stewart on topic ESA Mandatory Reconsideration Refusal
Hi Margaret,

If your daughter is on a low income, apply for an HC2 certificate

Best of luck!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.