× Members

Husband nearing retirement age

More
5 years 2 months ago #226336 by billybeaver
Husband nearing retirement age was created by billybeaver
Hi Gordon and everyone else I was wondering if you can advise me please. Sorry for all the questions I need help with.
I am the main claimant so I claim ESA for my husband and I which is £114.85 a fortnight
I also receive £23.55 as my busband is my full time career plus other top ups because I am in support group . Disability income guarantee. Disabled income guarantee .
My husband turned 65 in January of this year but cannot claim his pension until May 12th this year.
What I need to know please is once my husband claims his pension and he will know longer be able to claim carers allowance , what happens to the £23.55 I receive as I will know longer have any one claiming carers allowance for me even though my husband will still be my full time carer. Do I loose that money altogether . Is their any other money that I receive that iv included on here tha will be stopped because of husband claiming his pension In May .
My husband has been my full time carer since 1991 so has never worked since so his stamps have been kept up to date with him claiming carers allowance.
Also I’m sorry to ask you another question . At the moment I receive £114.85 a week as a couple what will I receive just for myself.
I’m trying to work out how much money I could loose once my husband claims his pension.
As I cannot claim my pension now until another 3 years due to the rise in pension age.
Sorry Gordon to ask you another question
I have read about pension credit but I don’t really understand how it works .
Would my husband have any rights in claiming pension credit as my money will be reduced once he claims his pension through me loosing money as we don’t know yet how much his pension will be.
At the moment we still have to pay the bedroom tax which is a lot of money when your on a low income. And I know that pensioners do not have to pay the bedroom tax. But I’ve heard that pensioners or people over the age of 65 now will have to carry on paying the bedroom tax . Do you know if that’s right or not , or do we stop having to pay it once he claims his pension in May.
Sorry for all the questions Gordon just one more
Once my husband gets invited to claim his pension is that when I have to phone up and tell the DWP that I will only be claiming for my self and iv know longer got a carer. We just can’t afford to be going without any money while he’s claiming his pension and I’m taking him off my claim.
Sorry for all the questions but I don’t really understand how it all works once he becomes a pensioner and not a carer even though he will be caring for me for nothing.
I will be very grateful for any advice you can help me with and any one else on here that this must have happened to as well
Many thanks BB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #226376 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Husband nearing retirement age
billybeaver

Get face to face advice as a matter of urgency, your husband may be able to claim Pension Credit, however, the rules for this change in May, I think he may be able to make a claim three months in advance of his reaching State Retirement Age. This should pay more than your ESA and would remove the requirement for you to be assessed.

Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Your husband receiving the State Pension does not require his Carers Allowance claim to be closed but he will no longer receive the CA payment, however, the Carers Premium will still be paid either as part of your ESA or part of a Pension Credit claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226449 by billybeaver
Replied by billybeaver on topic Husband nearing retirement age
Thank you very much Gordon for all your help. Il do a search tomorrow for welfare advice and il get hubby to phone up about pension credit tomorrow also. We might as well do both as it would be easier for him to claim then me claiming for ESA. Il let you know how I get on just in case other people are in the same situation as I am
Thank you once again
Bb

More
5 years 2 months ago #226462 by Gordon
billybeaver

There was a typo in my previous post so to confirm, your husband does not have to close this Carers Allowance claim. CA and the State Pension are classed as overlapping benefits so normally, only the pension will be paid, but if you/he receive an Income Related benefit such as ESA(IR) or Pension Credit then the Carers Premium will still be paid.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #226585 by billybeaver
Replied by billybeaver on topic Husband nearing retirement age
Hi Gordon I came across your message last night but when I sent you a reply your system kept telling me their was a system error so the message wouldn’t send so hopefully it will now lol .
I want to thank you for post regarding my husband not having to close his Carers allowance claim.
I have tried to get welfare advice but non in my area due to cutbacks and my CAB is only open 3 hours a day 9-12 am which is first their first served and if not seen that morning you keep going back daily until you get seen. With my declining health I can’t manage that now .
In your post you said it was a matter of urgency regarding my husband claiming pension credit I gather it’s because it’s know longer available to claim in May.
When my husband tried to claim his pension on line he cannot claim it they say until he receives a letter asking him to apply. And also when he tried to claim Pension credit on line he cannot start to even apply for it until March 10th. So if he is entitled to it I gather he wouldn’t still be to late to claim for it in March ?
Sorry to ask you another question.
I saw the form online that you fill in for pension credit and am I right that when my husband fills it in and that’s including my esa and the other top ups I receive . (I included them in my first post )
when asking you for help.
So when the time comes in March when he can apply for his pension and maybe pension credit if they say online that he’s entitled to even a small amount and he fills it all in and signs it , would they be the ones that would stop my ESA as I claim for my husband as welll and my top ups and his Carers allowance . So once the Dwp have all the information that my husband gives them would they stop my benefits and start his pension and pension credit if entitled . And would they inform the housing benefit of a change in circumstances or would that be me.
Thank you for all the help your giving me Gorden I really appreciate it.
It’s just we’ve not been in this situation before claiming one benefit and maybe cancelling mine if need be after 25 years. But obviously if we’re better off with me giving up my esa and as you said no more filling in esa forms then it works for me.
Sorry again for the long post it’s just I find it harder to write down then I do speaking about it.
Many thanks
Bb

More
5 years 2 months ago #226588 by Gordon
BB

Yes, in May the rules will change, at the moment eligibility is based on the oldest person in a couple, from May it will be the younger person so you will not be able to claim PC in May.

Applying in March will be fine as it is when the claim is made that is important.

Only one person in a couple can claim an Income Related Benefit so you will need to tell the DWP that you are happy to have your ESA(IR) stopped, if you are also entitled to Contribution Based ESA then this can continue to be claimed.

You do need to consider your own contribution record and your own State Pension. Currently, you are receiving NI Credits as part of your ESA.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.