× Members

ESA Premiums Follow-Up

More
5 years 2 months ago #226559 by JaneDean
ESA Premiums Follow-Up was created by JaneDean
Hi,
I have recently had letters from the DWP asking for a form to be completed (ESA3(IBR)) and returned to assess whether I might be eligible for extra payments (premiums). The letter says that if I decide I would not be eligible I can ignore the letter and I did this. Today someone phoned from the DWP when I was unable to take the call myself and I think it may be to ask the reasons why I haven't applied. Am I obliged to give any further explanations as I prefer to leave the matter and the letter says I can ignore it? Furthermore do I have to speak to someone myself as I have been unwell recently and it would be easier if a family member could explain this? Thanks in anticipation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226573 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Premiums Follow-Up
Jean

If you are certain that you do not qualify for any back payment then you can ignore the form, however, the DWP may still chase you for a reason, what I can't tell you is how much they will do this, the call may be all that they will do but they may also write to you again.

This is a high profile issue for the DWP so they may want to be seen as having done everything that they can to contact claimants.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JaneDean

More
5 years 2 months ago #226578 by JaneDean
Replied by JaneDean on topic ESA Premiums Follow-Up
Thanks for your reply. I meant to add that the last letter contained a reply slip asking for one of three reasons to be ticked why you don't want to apply. 1. you or your partner worked or work 24 hours a week or more 2. you had or have savings over £16000 3. you had a partner who had or has savings over £16000, or together you had or have savings over £16000. If I do not wish to be assessed for the premiums surely I don't have to give this information which could also end up on file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: piggery90

More
5 years 2 months ago #226586 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Premiums Follow-Up
Jean

The simplest solution is for you to write to the same address as the ESA3 has to be returned to saying that you do not wish to be assessed to see if any ESA(IR) is payable, you don't have to provide any more reason than this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: piggery90, JaneDean

More
5 years 2 months ago #226639 by piggery90
Replied by piggery90 on topic ESA Premiums Follow-Up
Hi Jean, I am in much the same situation, but they have now written to say they are visiting me on Monday (today is Thursday). I have just posted an urgent question on the forum which hopefully should appear tomorrow. . His answer to me may well be relevant in your case if you keep an eye on this subject.. All so annoying when their last letter said to ignore it "if you don't think you will qualify".

Gordon has advised me before and I trust the moderators advice so watch this space.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.