× Members

Can the Council ask that you pay your PIP towards

More
5 years 2 months ago #226626 by Lydz
Hello all,

I recently moved in to Private Rented accommodation found by my local Council under a six months tenancy agreement.

My tenancy is due to be renewed in May and I've just been informed by the Council that my landlord wishes to up the rent by nearly £300 a month.

I replied advising the Council that this is quite an unaffordable increase, however, they have come back to myself saying this is not unreasonable due to myself and my partner having disposable income.

What she is referring to there is mine and my partners Pip. Can they ask you that you put your PIP towards your rent, despite it being meant for disability related costs?

Kind regards,

Lydia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226632 by Gordon
Lydz

We don't advise on Housing Benefit so I am limited on the advice I can give.

Do you receive Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) as part of your Housing Benefit, my understanding is that Locals Authorities can include DLA and PIP as income when calculating this payment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.