× Members

ESA expentidture asking for evidence and receipts

More
5 years 2 months ago #226641 by Newbie100
Hello
A few years back I had to send my back statements in because I was over the threshold of 6k not by much, however there was no overpayments due back to the ESA
Recently I’ve been contacted again but this time they are questioning my transactions what I’m spending my money on, which I’ve provided them with evidence and receipts for the expentidture, is one not allowed to spend on certain item s? The letter has come from the ESA changes team? And there is no date to say when they need the information by, just asking what the transactions are and can I provide evidence is this because I’m flagged up on there system because my bank account went over some years ago over the 6k threshold ? I lent some money to a friend is that not allowed? But I have the evidence

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226644 by Gordon

It's a condition of your receiving your benefits that you supply the DWP with any financial information that they might reasonably request.

If you have moved a substantial amount out of your account then this may have triggered the enquiry, whilst you have the right to load the money to someone else, the DWP may consider you to still be in possession of the money for benefit purposes so you may need to show that your savings and assets do not exceed £6000 minus the loan money.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbie100

More
5 years 2 months ago #226701 by Newbie100
Hello
Wanted to ask my capital went over 6k a few years back but
It went to tribunal (re an overpayment of 2k and it was upheld because I didn’t understand that I had to report anything because of my benefit award letters it didn’t state the threshold of 6k to 16k it just stated on mine if you have saving over 16k ESA would stop so the courts upheld it in my favour, any how I had a PPI refund last year of 2.500 and it took my bank balance over to 6,400 for a few weeks, hence the most recent letter asking for a breakdown of my expenses, so what could happen now or what’s the worst that can happen, would I be issued a penalty for a small amount over the 6k threshold

More
5 years 2 months ago #226728 by Gordon

There would be an overpayment although not a very big one and they could give you a civil penalty.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.