× Members

Losing Motability Car following a PiP assessment

More
5 years 3 months ago #226713 by Alexandra
My daughter has been reassessed at the standard rather than enhanced mobility rate PiP and as a result is losing her motability car (which she has had for 8 years) on the 7th March. It has now been decided that she can walk more than 20m but not more that 50m- thereby reducing the rate.

DWP have advised they may not have considered her mandatory reconsideration by then.

I can find a lot of information about transitional support for those losing cars from the DLA to PiP but other than the 8 weeks you are allowed to keep it pending the appeal there is nothing for those losing it following a PiP assessment.

I wondered if this is a new trend to reduce payments to people?

In addition, her original award was to July 2020 and the whole process was brought forward for no reason we could see to October 2018. We didn’t get the decision until 9th January backdated until 2nd January, reducing the appeal period by a week too. Is this common and have others experienced it?

Needless to say the whole process has been devastating beyond belief and nothing medically has changed - she has MS and a severe walking disability. My daughter at 24 feels her life is over.
The assessment was horrific and the subsequent report unfair.

Finally, there are lots of statistics on those losing motability cars following the DLA to PiP switch but is anyone monitoring it for the subsequent PiP assessments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #226746 by Gordon
Alexandra

She should contact Motability but their normal procedure is to retrieve the vehicle in three weeks.

Have a look at our PIP Appeal documents for help with the MR.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandra

More
5 years 3 months ago #226793 by worrywart
Replied by worrywart on topic Losing Motability Car following a PiP assessment
I’m in same situation Alexandra. Went from enhanced to standard, lost points n planning a journey. I’m pip to pip and have lost this in review even though nothing has changed and the rest of the award was very fair and the same as last time., in fact my curcumastances are worse, I have put in a MR . Motability are very helpful , they give you 8 weeks from the time you get the letter saying the benefit has stopped. I would definately ring them and explain.
Good luck .
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse, Alexandra

More
5 years 3 months ago #226806 by Alexandra
Replied by Alexandra on topic Losing Motability Car following a PiP assessment
Thanks.

My daughter has desperately phoned several times and last night was told there is a 4 week backlog despite the car being taken next week.

Sort of sympathetic but not overly( but to be fair some are better than others).

I am taking out a finance deal today (which I cannot really afford) for a cheap car as this has triggered a MS flare up and she is so stressed and upset and really we have run out of time.
We live in a small village, no where near the infrequent bus route and without a car she literally is housebound.

Am just shocked at the rigidity and heartlessness of it all.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.