× Members

UC or ESA?

More
5 years 1 month ago #227041 by Feelinghopeless
UC or ESA? was created by Feelinghopeless
Hi, my 24 year old stepdaughter has rheumatoid arthritis which is a degenerative condition amongst other physical health issues. She received a standard rate mobility PIP 5 years ago when she was more mobile and able to work a few hours a week. Since then her condition has deteriorated and after a period of one year off sick, and in spite of efforts by occupational health to try and make adaptations to her work environment, yesterday her contract was ended. She is unable to work due to severe arthritis.
Yesterday I phoned DWP to ask for an ESA claim form and was told that as she is not on severe disability premium for PIP (she would be if they assessed her now) she would have to go online and apply for UC. This has sent her into a panic as she will not be able to attend any work focused appointments or look for work because if she could work, she wouldn't have been let go by her previous employer. When her current PIP award comes to an end and she is reassessed I am quite sure she will be on the higher rate PIP. Her arthritis and the medication she is on mean she is too disabled and in pain to work so I don't understand why she can only apply for UC. From what I've read, UC doesn't treat a claimant as being unable to work? So stressed, thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #227064 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic UC or ESA?
Mad Cow

She has two options available to her in regard to making a claim for a sickness benefit;

- New Style ESA if she can meet the Contribution Conditions, or
- Universal Credit if she cannot

NS ESA replaces Contribution Based ESA and UC replaces INcome Related ESA.

Specifically for UC claimants can be assessed at a Work Capability Assessment and if they meet the criteria, be award Limited Capability for Work (formerly WRAG) or Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (formerly Support Group).

The assessment criteria is the same as ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.