× Members

New ESA claim with existing PIP & condition worse

More
5 years 2 months ago #227119 by Snowb
I am applying for new-style ESA & have a pre-existing PIP (Scored daily living 12 (higher) & mobility 10 (basic)). My condition fluctuates, however for the last 6 months my condition has been worse. I had been hesitant to report Change in Circumstances due to:
anxiety & stress about another form & assessment, and the chance of unfairly having points reduced instead of increased, or reduced time of award.
However, now I need to submit an ESA claim and I'm aware that they may use information from my ESA form in relation to my existing PIP award. I am wondering whether it would be best to submit Change of circumstances form for PIP at the same time & would appreciate any advice.
My considerations/questions include:
1a)What is likelihood I will need to complete another PIP form & face-to-face if I submit change of circumstances form?
1b) Is there a way to decrease likelihood of F2fF or another form when submitting Change of circumstances?
2) Could they use the same face-to-face for ESA & PIP change of circumstances?

I'm concerned if they put me in ESA work-related activity group, that the activity would cause health to deteriorate.
3a) If they do this can I stop ESA claim rather than doing the activity?
3b) or if I refused activities & appealing, could it cause difficulties with my PIP?

Thank toy very much in advance for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #227128 by Gordon
Snowb

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Whilst I cannot tell you that you do not need to contact the DWP if your conditions and limitations have deteriorated, the DWP are not usually that bothered if a claimant does not tell them that they have got worse.

Just because your conditions have deteriorated does not mean that will score higher if your PIP is reassessed. You already have an Enhanced Daily Living award so it cannot be increased and depending on how you score the ten points for Mobility it is possible that this cannot be increased either, so I would think very carefully before you report any Change to the PIP office.

1a. If you report a change for your PIP then you will be sent a new PIP2 and will almost certainly have to attend a face to face assessment. The new Decision will supersede your current award, whatever it actually is.

1b. Not unless you provide conclusive evidence of how you meet the PIP criteria, I think you will struggle to do this.

2. No, the criteria is too different for a F2F for one benefit to replace the need for one on the other.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #227140 by Snowb
Thank you so much Gordon, it really helps to have that info.

I went through the PIP scoring criteria & my deterioration should mean that I meet more points now, including 12 points in mobility instead of 10 which would move me to higher mobility - just need to decide if it's worth the risks. (Daily living should be at least the same points: I now have care package requested which didn't before).

I had two more questions I would really appreciate your advice on:
I'm concerned if they put me in ESA work-related activity group, that the activity would cause health to deteriorate.
a) If they do this can I stop ESA claim rather than doing the activity?
b) or if I refused activities & appealing, could it cause difficulties with my PIP?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

More
5 years 2 months ago #227152 by Gordon
Snowb

a. You can but you may not be able to re-claim ESA in the future.

b. No, PIP is not a work related benefit so there would be no knock on effect.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snowb

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.