× Members

Please can anyone help!

More
5 years 1 month ago #227556 by olls
Please can anyone help! was created by olls
This is my first time on the forum and I would be very grateful if you could advise me on the following.

My son was badly burned ( Major Trauma) and had to be resuscitated twice. and in a coma for three weeks, on top of that his lungs collapsed and he caught eboli and pneumonia whilst in hospital and has been diagnosed with PTSD and suffers regular nightmares as a result.

He has been told that it will take over a year for his burns to heal and longer before he can think about working again.

He applied for Universal credit and was successful however he also applied for PIPS and attended the assessment centre and was there for 4 hours.

Since his assessment he has had a letter stating that they want to make a home visit so that they can clarify what he has told them and see how he manages and copes at home.

Is this normal, does he have to accept this? The hospital have provided all the necessary information including a letter from the Head of Psychology regarding my sons injuries and state of mind and that he is not capable of work for at least a year to 18 months and maybe more.

Is there anything he should do to? Any help/advice would be appreciated as I know he is very stressed and worried about it.

Thank you very much for reading my letter

Kind regards
Olls

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #227575 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Please can anyone help!
olls

If the Assessment Provider has decided that an assessment is required then he must attend or his claim will be closed, he can try contacting the AP to see if he can provide more relevant information to his problems completing the PIP activities which may allow them to complete a Paper Based Review.

I'm afraid PIP is not a work replacement benefit so letters stating your son is unable to work are unlikely to carry any weight.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 month ago #227706 by olls
Replied by olls on topic Please can anyone help!
Thank you for your assistance and help.

I would like to say that my son has already had an assessment at an assessment centre but know they want to give him a home visit, is this normal and should he accept this?

Also, the letters sent by consultants not only explained why he could not work but also how it has affected him mentally and physically and as I previously stated, his state of mind (depression/ptsd)

Regards
Olls

More
5 years 1 month ago #227721 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Please can anyone help!
olls

No, it's not normal but as I said he has no choice, his claim can only proceed if an assessment report is produced and if the Assessment Provider is saying that another face to face is required to produce this then his only other option is to see whether the information can be provided in some other way, for example by direct contact with his GP.

Do the letters explain why he would have difficulties completing the PIP activities?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: olls

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.