× Members

I need help with bereavement benefit claim

More
5 years 1 month ago #227699 by niks
My mother died on the 15/01/2019 the funeral cost £4,100. I lived alone with my mother and am on Universal Credit, so there is no money to pay for her funeral bill.
I spoke to some one at the government bereavement phone line and the day I called I was very upset about my mother and had taken anti depressants and pain killers. So I don't remember much about the phone call. the bereavement officer bombarded me with questions and coerced me into saying things which where not correct. He asked if my brother and sisters where working and therefore liable to pay the funeral bill. My brother and sisters had nothing to do with my mother for years because of her alcoholism. I sent in the form for the bereavement expenses and it was rejected on the basis that my siblings could pay the bill. I am going to appeal and this has to be sent no later than the 21st of March 2019 if I date it as such.Can I win an appeal and what do I put on the appeal letter to win.

Any help would be great baring in mind I have to send it on the 21st of March 2019 at the latest with that date on the letter to be in the 4 week appeal time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #227712 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic I need help with bereavement benefit claim
Niks

This is not an area of benefits that we advise on but I have found the guidance that Decision Makers use. I think you will need to show that brother and sisters were "estranged" from your mother, have a look at paragraph 39170 of the following for what you will need to show in your appeal.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/governm...e/774194/dmgch39.pdf

I would also think about getting face to face advice if you can. Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 month ago #227715 by an ex nurse
Replied by an ex nurse on topic I need help with bereavement benefit claim
Niks, I am sorry to hear you are having such a sad time and send you my best wishes.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.