× Members

ESA and Notional Capital

More
5 years 1 month ago #227777 by Charlie2300
ESA and Notional Capital was created by Charlie2300
I came into an inheritance when my mother left us. It was approx. £14,000. My ESA was reduced in accordance with the £1 per £250 over £6000 rule. All well and good. My capital has understandably reduced over time. I am aware that there are rules about 'wilful' deprivation of capital. Where can I find out about these rules?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #227797 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and Notional Capital
Charlie

Whilst there are some black and white rules on capital most of it comes under the opinion of a Decision Maker on the day.

The following is the relevant chapter from the Decision Makers Guide

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/governm...e/774198/dmgch52.pdf

Paragraphs 52748 and 52749 cover Notional Capital, as you can see they are of little help.

The limited advice I can give you is not to clear debts that are not due at this time, an example of this would be paying off a mortgage early. Try and keep your expenditure reasonable, building repairs and replacing old or damaged white goods should be OK, a budget car may be acceptable but a luxury holiday might not.

The key issue is whether the expenditure can be seen as being made in order to continue to receive your benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.