× Members

ESA Reassessment question

More
5 years 1 month ago #227789 by King_Drax_I
ESA Reassessment question was created by King_Drax_I
My daughter has been on ESA (in the support group category) since September 2017 and has just been sent a form (ESA50) - the capability for work questionnaire. This was expected as we were told at the time of her award that it would be reviewed about now.

My daughter's condition has not changed at all since her award; how do we go about emphasising that fact, because if she qualified for the award back then she still should do so now. But that is of course the way that logical and rational people see it, not the DWP.

Is there any advice you can give regarding filling in that assessment form under these circumstances? We were told that although the reassessment form would come eventually, that it s not the same thing as reapplying for the benefit. Could you comment on that too, please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #227807 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Reassessment question
Drax

Ignore the advice you have received, you need to treat this as a new claim for ESA complete the ESA50 in detail and provide evidence as you can, even if it has been sent before.

Have a look at our ESA Claim guides that explain the criteria that she is being assessed against in detail and how to explain her problems in relation to this.

If you have any specific questions then please reply to this post and I will do my best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brightskies2009, King_Drax_I

More
5 years 1 month ago #227814 by King_Drax_I
Replied by King_Drax_I on topic ESA Reassessment question
Thanks Gordon, that's much appreciated!

Yes, I do have two further questions, if that's ok.

Firstly, they have not sent us an ESA 1 form, that is, the main application form. So do I assume that they don't need one, or have they missed it out in error - should there be a new ESA1 form?

Secondly, since my daughter has a chronic illness for which there is no cure, and for which treatment is virtually non-existent, the latest evidence we have is that which we submitted with the original claim back in 2017. She has been discharged from those services, you see. Will that 'old' evidence still be acceptable, since it is still the most recent we have? We will also of course get a supporting letter from her GP, to say that the illness is still ongoing, but that's the best we can do.

How does that sound?

More
5 years 1 month ago #227829 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Reassessment question
Drax

An ESA1 is only required when a claim for ESA is originally made.

If that is all the evidence that you have then you will have to go with it, the important thing is to explain why they are still relevant to your daughter's conditions as they are now.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: King_Drax_I

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.