× Members

ESA Reassessments Query.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228088 by Gareth56
ESA Reassessments Query. was created by Gareth56
I came across this briefing paper on ESA Reassessments and how they will not be inflicting repeat WCAs on those with the most severe conditions. One paragraph caught my attention viz.

"On 1 October, I announced that that we will stop reassessing people with the most
severe health conditions and disabilities. This change will apply to people who have
already been placed in the ESA Support Group or UC Limited Capability for Work and
Work Related Activity categories following a WCA
and who have the most severe
health conditions and disabilities (defined as claimants with severe, lifelong, often
progressive and incurable conditions, with minimally fluctuating care needs, who are
unlikely to ever be able to move closer to the labour market and into work). The IT
changes needed are expected to be completed by the end of 2017. In the meantime,
we will be working to ensure these people are not reassessed unnecessarily."

The interesting part is underlined and emboldened. Does that mean that if you are currently in the SG and are awaiting a reassessment to happen then you will no longer get one?

The paper can be found at:-https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7820#fullreport

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #228109 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Reassessments Query.

Gareth wrote: The interesting part is underlined and emboldened. Does that mean that if you are currently in the SG and are awaiting a reassessment to happen then you will no longer get one?

No, it's actually the opposite, a decision to exempt a claimant from further assessment can only be made after a new assessment (WCA) has been done.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228118 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic ESA Reassessments Query.
May I ask why this is this is the case and are there any references to it.

Thanks

More
5 years 1 month ago #228124 by Gordon
Gareth

I don't think you have read the information that you posted properly because it actually says this.

"this change will apply to people who have already been placed in the ESA Support Group or UC Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity categories following a WCA"

Gordon

More
5 years 1 month ago #228153 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic ESA Reassessments Query.
So if you have already undergone a WCA, say last year, and as a result you were placed in the SG does this new ruling not apply then, if not why? That’s how I read it.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228176 by Gordon
Gareth

The guidance was published late summer last year, if your last assessment was before this then it won't have been considered and won't until you attend a new WCA, if it was later in the year then it may have been considered but you weren't considered to meet the criteria.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.