× Members

PIP mobility aids

More
5 years 1 month ago #228135 by Fred
PIP mobility aids was created by Fred
I have congenital hip dysplasia and one of my legs is shorter than another. As a result, I have to use specially made boots from the orthotics department at my local hospital. My question is if my specially made orthotics boots class as an aid?

Even if so, is it likely that the assessors will say that I need to use an aid such as crutches?

The problem I have is I feel pain when walking after 20 meters, if I use crutches to relieve the pressure on my hips then I find these difficult to use as I have pain in my hands (Raynaud’s) and also suffer from shoulder pain. Which then essentially means I have to walk with my special boots as my only aid (if they class as an aid).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228159 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP mobility aids
Fred

To be an aid you would need to show that you cannot walk without the boot, however, unlike the Daily Living activities, an aid won't help you score higher for mobility,

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 month ago #228237 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic PIP mobility aids
Thanks Gordon,

I am aware that for the mobility section, there are no awards for aids. However, my boot which the built in raise then allows me to be able to walk “aided” in my opinion, will the DWP view this the same?

As I mentioned already, I can foresee being asked that I should use another aid ie like a crutch. However, my argument is that I do use crutches to take the stress of my hips when they are bad however I still have pain in my hip because even with the crutch I am moving my hip, I also get pains in my hands and hence I still feel I cannot walk with a crutch without feeling significant pain.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228258 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP mobility aids
Fred

If you don't usually use crutches then I would not expect the assessor to consider your using them but the test is about the distance you can reliably walk on the majority of days, with or without an aid, so you really need to concentrate on explaining this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.