× Members

Severe Disability Premium Query

More
5 years 1 month ago #228193 by Susie27
Severe Disability Premium Query was created by Susie27
Dear Gordon,

I hope you are well.

I wonder if you could offer some advice. My dear friend receives PIP enhanced support for both care and mobility, is currently in the support group for ESA and has just submitted his ESA50. He also receives £16.80 a week disability income guarantee.

His recent annual entitlement letter did not mention the term "contribution based". Instead it just referred to his "income related entitlement" so we are unclear as to whether he is currently receiving ESA IR or ESA CB.

My question is should he be in receipt of SDA and, if yes, how should he go about applying for ir? My understanding (probably misplaced!) is that he should have automatically been awarded it.

Thank you for all that you and your colleagues do. You helped me with worries over my own recent ESA claim and I genuinely don't know what I would have done without this forum.

Best,

Susie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228204 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Severe Disability Premium Query
Susie

I assume you actually mean SDP, the Severe Disability Premium :)

Your friend could be receiving ESA(IR) or ESA(CB) with an ESA(IR) top-up but it doesn't matter as they are eligible for ESA(IR) which is the important thing.

To receive the SD Premium, in addition to their ESA(IR) and PIP Daily Living, no one must be receiving Carers Allowance against their PIP and they must live alone or be considered as living alone.

If they meet these criteria then they should contact the DWP about payment, although entitlement is automatic, payment is not and they will need to complete an IS10 form, it may be possible to do this on the phone when contacting the DWP office dealing with their claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Susie27

More
5 years 1 month ago #228206 by Susie27
Replied by Susie27 on topic Severe Disability Premium Query
Hello Gordon,

Yes, I did mean SDP - sorry for the confusion. Indeed, my former post was almost as confusing as a letter from the DWP!

I know that my friend does live alone and no-one is in receipt of Carers Allowance against his PIP.

I will let my friend know what he now needs to do.

Many thanks for your help and I hope you have a good evening.

Best,

Susie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.