× Members

JSA to ESA procedure

• Catherine Constantinou
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago #229198 by Catherine Constantinou
JSA to ESA procedure was created by Catherine Constantinou
Once I send the ESA1 form off, do I sign off JSA at the JobCentre immediately or wait until I receive a response from DWP?

Also, when I have signed off JSA, how long before I receive a payment?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #229210 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic JSA to ESA procedure
C

When we started talking about you claiming ESA last year, Universal Credit was not rolled out across the country, now it is so your options may have changed.

You can make a claim for New Style ESA, the equivalent of what is now called legacy Contribution Based ESA if you have at least 50 weeks of NI Contributions in the Tax Years 2016-17 and 2017-18.

If you don't, you will need to have worked throughout these Years, then you will have to claim Universal Credit unless your JSA included the Severe Disability Premium or you were entitled to it even if not paid, in which case you can still apply for ESA.

NS ESA should be paid in a couple of weeks at the Assessment rate, Universal Credit will be five weeks.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Catherine Constantinou
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #229785 by Catherine Constantinou
Replied by Catherine Constantinou on topic JSA to ESA procedure
Thank you Gordon.

I have been on income based JSA for over 2 / 3 years.

At the JCP I am signing on, UC won't be rolled out until July 2019.

Please let me know which benefits (equivalent to previous ESA) I should be applying for in these circumstances?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #229810 by Gordon
C

As far as I am aware Universal Credit is now live in all postcodes on the UK mainland and you cannot make a new claim for Income Related ESA, only UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Catherine Constantinou
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #229852 by Catherine Constantinou
Replied by Catherine Constantinou on topic JSA to ESA procedure
Thank you Gordon.

Should I wait to be transferred onto UC in July this year, or make a claim for UC now with my health conditions to be taken into account?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #229854 by Gordon
C

It won't be July, the transfer won't start until at least the end of this year and will take many years to complete.

I can't advise whether you should claim UC now or later, can you fulfil your JSA commitments? Do you meet the criteria to be declared Unfit for Work?

Gordon

Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.