× Members

ESA and housing benefit

More
5 years 1 week ago #229386 by Annmarie
ESA and housing benefit was created by Annmarie
Can someone please help? I was medically retired in 2017. Since then I have been in receipt of Contribution based ESA (support group) I also receive PIP (Standard rate Care and Mobility). I have been living off my pension and savings.I was advised to claim IR ESA. I received a letter from DWP telling me that I was entitled to Severe Disability Premium and IR ESA of £31 however, "because your Contribution based ESA is £73 we will pay you that amount". I need to claim housing benefit . Does this mean I am exempt from Universal Credit ? Hope this all makes sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #229409 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and housing benefit
Annmarie

If I have read your post correctly then you are not barred from Universal Credit as you are not entitled to the SD Premium as your ESA(CB) exceeds what you would receive for ESA(IR) so there is no entitlement to the SDP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Gordon.

More
5 years 1 week ago #229416 by Annmarie
Replied by Annmarie on topic ESA and housing benefit
Thanks Gordon. Do I have to claim housing benefit via Universal Credit ? When I contacted the housing benefit office, they said that as I am in the support group, I am exempt from Universal credit and can claim housing benefit direct via the local authority. I am totally confused.

More
5 years 1 week ago #229421 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and housing benefit
Annmarie

If this is a new claim for HB then it can only be made through Universal Credit unless you are entitled to the Severe Disability Premium, being in the SG does not bar you from claiming UC. To be entitled to the Premium;

- you need to be receiving an enabling benefit such as your PIP Daily Living
- you need to be eligible for Income Related ESA
- you need to be living alone or considered to be living alone
- no one must be receiving Carers Allowance against your PIP award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 week ago #229425 by Annmarie
Replied by Annmarie on topic ESA and housing benefit
Thanks Gordon. Your help is very much appreciated.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.