× Members

PIP Q10

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #230040 by ikl
PIP Q10 was created by ikl
I have a question re PIP Q 10 Reading.

c. Needs prompting to be able to read or understand complex written information.  2 points.
d. Needs prompting to be able to read or understand basic written information.  4 points.

I am registered partially sighted. In terms of reading things, at work I use magnifying software on my PC, and at home I read most things on my tablet or using the magnifier.
But when out and about it is much more difficult, and there many things I cannot read or see reliably. Sometimes I can if they are big enough and in good light, but very often I cannot. If my is with me she usually reads it for me, whatever it is. This can be complex or basic information.

Does this mean, in theory, I could or should score 4 points, or, because it only usually happens when out and about, it would not count? (There is also a safety issue with reliably reading warning signs etc outside.)
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #230047 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Q10
Toby

You are ignoring the requirement for you to need prompting to read, you do not mention any such need in your post.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #230067 by ikl
Replied by ikl on topic PIP Q10
Thank you. I was going to ask about the ‘prompting’, but forgot. Am not 100% sure what it means. My wife, if she is with me, often has to read things for me or point them out, in various situations. Does this not count as ‘prompting’?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #230074 by Gordon
Toby

Prompting is legally defined as

“reminding, encouraging or explaining by another person.

So in the example you include in your post your wife is performing the activity for you, she is not prompting you to do it yourself.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #230077 by ikl
Replied by ikl on topic PIP Q10
Thank you Gordon.
So this means people who cannot read something themselves are excluded from this part of PIP?
RNIB and the SENSE charity on their advice re Q10 both mention someone else reading something for you as applying here.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #230082 by Gordon
Toby

I think you need to look at the Descriptors for the activity, (b) would seem to be a more obvious route than (c) and scores the same.

If you can't read basic or complex written information then it would seem to me that you would be better arguing this than introducing your wife doing it for you when her doing so does not match the Descriptors.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.