× Members

Can I improve my PIP points over the age of 65

More
4 years 11 months ago #230358 by twinkle
Hi,

Contacting you again as you are my ‘go to’ place for help so thank you, this site has helped me so much.

I receive PIP and scored 27 points but just missed out on enhanced rate for mobility. I am due to be reviewed again next year but I turn 65 this year. I know that if you have not already received PIP before the age of 65 you can’t apply but my question is if you have already been awarded it and your circumstances change can I be awarded enhanced mobility rate after this age? I am wondering whether I should contact them now to say my mobility has worsened or if I should wait for my next review.

I am concerned that they may find that my entitlement will be reduced rather than enhanced so I’m fearful of upsetting the apple cart.

Regards,
Twinkle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230369 by Gordon
Twinkle

The Applicable Age is now 65 or State Retirement Age, whichever is the later.

Your Mobility award cannot be increased once you reach the Applicable Age, the Daily Living component is not affected.

Whether you should report a Change is up to you, doing so will result in a new PIP2 being issued and there is a good chance that you will have to attend a face to face, it will be a full review of both components and the resulting Decision will supersede your current award, whatever the result might be.

You don't mention what you scored for Mobility so I can't offer any detailed advice but make sure that you understand the criteria you will need to meet, as one example if you met (e) for Going Out then you cannot meet (f) without fundamentally undermining the reasons that you scored for (e) so it would be easy to end up with no Mobility award.

If you do report a Change then send the letter by a Tracked post so you have proof of delivery, the date of your letter should be used as the start date for any new award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230468 by twinkle
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your reply it was most helpful.

As I reach my state pension age of 66 in October 2020 I think I will wait until my next review in March 2020 before I explain my mobility deterioration to them, I don’t think there would be a problem but I don’t want to risk losing anything.

In Planning and Following journeys I scored 4 points for (b) and for Moving Around I scored 4 points for (b).
I don’t think I described my disability very well on these points and I was unusure if ‘Planning and Following a journey’ means using public transport, on foot or in a car. I need a toilet at all times so I can’t use buses plus I couldn’t walk to the bus stop, I have both physical and psychological problems and can’t get out as often as I would like to. I could use a taxi for a short trip but I am totally reliant on our car which is why I wondered if I would be entitled to the enhanced rate of mobility, without a car I am more or less housebound, my partner has to use it for work so I am becoming less and less independent which is causing me to become reclusive. The whole idea of the PIP benefit is to try to help to keep people living as much as an independent life as possible but I’m afraid I can see my independence fading away. I’m so concerned for the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Twinkle

More
4 years 11 months ago #230499 by Gordon
twinkle

You cannot score for physical issues, your incontinence, in regard to the Going Out activity unless you can show that the issues result in your suffering Overwhelming Psychological Distress and that this OPD results in your being unable to continue to follow a route.

Public Transport is relevant to Descriptors (d) and (f) but be aware, there is no requirement for the use of Public Transport defined in the legal definitions and we have seen DMs markdown because of this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230620 by twinkle
Thank you Gordon,

I will make sure I explain thoroughly in my review the OPD I suffer whilst out.

Twinkle

More
4 years 11 months ago #230630 by Gordon

twinkle wrote: Thank you Gordon,

I will make sure I explain thoroughly in my review the OPD I suffer whilst out.

Twinkle

Remember, the OPD must prevent you from continuing to follow the route, it will not in its own right score you points.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: twinkle

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.