× Members

How important is my GP's input for PIP?

More
4 years 11 months ago #230570 by Creature
How important is my GP's input for PIP? was created by Creature
My GP and I have only talked about the car accident that caused my permanent injuries and current mobility issues once in the past. Since she can only offer strong pain killers, Tramadol, as a remedy for my constant pain, we have never really gone into detail about how far I can walk, my limitations at home or help that I need etc.

Will this lack of information in her medical notes about my condition put me at risk of not successfully transferring from DLA to PIP?

I have already informed the DWP that they should use my notes from my last successful application for DLA, around 4 years ago, which gave me indefinite DLA status.

Is my previous DLA information enough for the DWP, or should I give my GP more detail about my condition? My concern is that in doing that at this late stage might look at little suspect from the DWP’s point of view.

Thanks so much for your time.
Sincerely, Creature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230584 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic How important is my GP's input for PIP?
Creature

It's actually unlikely that the DWP or an assessor will contact your GP but if they then you want them to be able to reply in a supportive way so I would ask them what is the best way for you to inform them of your limitations. Be careful not to put words in your GP's mouth, so to speak, so it is better if they ask you about them rather than you simply telling them.

Your DLA evidence may be sufficient but there are some issues that you need to consider;

- what if the DWP no longer have the information? Our recommendation is to include the information yourself, with your claim form, this also has the advantage that you can refer to it in the form.

- secondly, the criteria for PIP is more strict than the equivalent for DLA, for example; the accepted walking distance for the higher Mobility award for DLA is 50m, for PIP it is only 20m.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230607 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic How important is my GP's input for PIP?
Hi Creature
Please don't rely on the DWP looking at old records. As stressful as it might be you need to fill in every step of the PIP form and show how you meet the criteria now (even if your condition has not changed in the last few years). Many people have made the mistake of thinking because they have lifetime awards for the DLA that it will be easy to transfer to a similar award with PIP and unfortunately it isn't a given. You have to explain. I still have a copy of my husband's last DLA form (and he had a lifetime award - and honestly it was so simple in comparison to PIP.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230654 by Creature
Replied by Creature on topic How important is my GP's input for PIP?
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, Gordon.
I will follow your advice regarding my GP.
All my best to you. Creature.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230655 by Creature
Replied by Creature on topic How important is my GP's input for PIP?
Thank you, Bis. Very much appreciate your input.
As you have suggested, I will explain every detail of my condition.
All my best to you, Creature.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.