× Members

Lasting Power of Attorney and PIP applications

More
5 years 19 hours ago #230788 by Broadline
Hello
My daughter has just received her 'invitation' to apply for PIP after receiving DLA for several years. The deadline for the application is 8th June. She has language & communication difficulties and a learning disability. I have lasting power of attorney for both Health & Welfare and Property & Finance so will deal with the application for her. I dislike using the phone myself so was pleased to see that you could initially apply using a PIP1 form (specimen seen on Gov.UK), however it makes it clear on Page 3 that they need to see certified copies of the LPA (understandable I guess) . Can I ask whether you think it advisable to ring up and request the PIP1 form and when should I do that - now or as close to 8th June as possible? Will they even send me a form without speaking to my daughter - I just know she won't respond on the telephone to someone she doesn't know. Plus should you always ask them to use all the information from her DLA applications. This seems reasonable to me but others may know of drawbacks to this. I really hadn't expected this so soon after her recent annual award (February) - thought I had a few more months yet :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230810 by Gary
Hi Karen

Yes you do need to contact DWP before the 8th June, if not your daughters DLA claim will stop. Once you have made a claim for PIP, your daughter will continue to be paid her DLA benefit until a decision has been made.
When you make the initial PIP phone call it usually lasts for about 20-30 minutes, they usually will ask to speak to your daughter first, to get authorisation to speak to yourself, you will also need doctors and bank a/c details, i.e where the benefit will be paid into.
Remember that PIP descriptors are different from the DLA descriptors.
PIP is based on points, we have some useful information within our members only guide or FAQ

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Broadline

More
4 years 11 months ago #230812 by Gordon
Karen

You can request a paper copy of the PIP1 but I cannot recommend it, every member who has done this has had problems in making the request and receiving the form. your daughter's PIP will not be considered started until the DWP have received the completed PIP1 back.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Broadline

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.