× Members

Made redundant. Traceable work history.

More
4 years 11 months ago #231275 by Steve Blue
Made redundant. Traceable work history. was created by Steve Blue
Dear Benefits & Work,

Firstly, please note this is not a priority query, so if you have any more pressing questions, please leave this to the back of the queue.

After years of appreciated service, helping me with my dad's benefits, I've unfortunately found myself made redundant after 20 years with the same employer. As of the 1st of June I shall be officially unemployed.

As I currently have £16000 + in savings I am aware that I shall be unable to claim anything which is fine. After being in the same job for twenty years I currently plan to have a couple of months out of work (maybe do some voluntary work, or travleling, have a think about where I'm going) and then get back in to the swing of thing of things.

I have spoken to the inland revenue regarding NI payments. They said I can just contact them in a years time, and if I have any gaps in my NI payments I can just make a one of payment then.

My question is, if you have any info at all, is, can you register in some way with the job centre? Can you register but not claim in any way? Maybe get NI payments made? I assume not. Or register so a gap in your work history doesn't look odd to a potential future employer?

I have visited my local job centre but was near enough turned way - no help what-so-ever. I just wondered wither you had any info at all or helpful links on the above. If you have no info at all, this is also fine, I just thought I'd ask as a friend of mine thinks I might need to register somewhere? I'm unsure.

Kind regards,
Bluebear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #231303 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Made redundant. Traceable work history.
BB

The problem is that you want to take a break from working, if you didn't then you should be able to claim New Style JSA which is the Contribution Based version of the benefit. This is only payable for six months but would potentially cover you, however, you would need to sign a Claimant Commitment to seek work which is unlikely to be compatible with you taking a break.

You can pay for the NI Contributions yourself although it is not cheap.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #231767 by Steve Blue
Replied by Steve Blue on topic Made redundant. Traceable work history.
Thanks, Gordon.

Would I still be able to claim New Style JSA even with the savings I have? When I dropped in to the Job Centre I was told there was nothing I could claim. With regards to NI, yep, I called them. I could pay £781 (from memory) for the entire year, or just fill in any gaps at a later date.

More
4 years 11 months ago #231778 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Made redundant. Traceable work history.
BB

You can make a claim for New Style JSA at any time this calendar year based on your NI Contributions for the Tax Years 2016-17 and 2017-18. The Tax Years will move forward in 2020.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Blue

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.