× Members

UC50 special circumstances on physical grounds

More
4 years 11 months ago #231838 by Feelinghopeless
UC50 special circumstances on physical grounds was created by Feelinghopeless
Hi,

I am helping my step daughter complete her UC50. She has rheumatoid arthritis. On page 20 of your guide on applying for UC on physical grounds, you state that a way to get into the support group is on exemption/special circumstances grounds and one of those is if "You are receiving treatment for cancer by way of chemotherapy …..". On page 42 of the WCA handbook, they state "Some conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis… are treated with regimes that may include chemotherapeutic agents..........The term chemotherapy traditionally has been used to describe cytotoxic drugs." They also write about the significance of the 'debilitating effects' of this treatment.

My query is that my stepdaughter is taking Methotrexate, which is a cytotoxic drug, is used as a form of chemotherapy treatment and does have 'dibilitating side effects' on her. From your guide it seems to suggest that the claimant is only excempt if the reason for the treatment is folliowing a diagnosis of cancer. From my understanding of the WCA handbook (quoted above) it seems to say that even if the treatment is for another medical condition, such as Rheumatoid arthritis, the claimant can still be exempt.

Could you clarify if a claimant is only exempt from WRAG group if they have cancer AND are receiving chemotherapy treatment, or if they are receiving the same treatment, with same side effects but for a different illness?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #231855 by Gordon
mad cow

The requirement for the chemotherapy to be in relation to cancer is specifically defined in the legislation, I'm afraid she will not meet the criteria for this exemption if the Methotrexate is prescribed for another condition.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelinghopeless

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.