× Members

Trying to Arrange Home Visit for ESA Assessment

More
4 years 11 months ago #232352 by mel123
Hi Gordon and all administrators, I'm new to this forum and firstly wanted to add what a brilliant support this has been for me and my wife.
Just wanted some advice on my wife's claim for ESA and a requested home visit for assessment. Due to her conditions I have completed the form for her based on your excellent guidelines. We have since been advised that an assessment is needed and were given a date to attend the assessment centre. I called the centre for health and disability and explained that we needed a home assessment because my wife is currently bed-bound. They informed me of the process that the GP needs to fax the reasons why she can't get to the centre and gave me the fax number. Her GP was then asked to fax the details. I called the centre the following week to make sure that they had received it, was put on hold while they contacted the right department but they hadn't actually received anything. The lady said that she'd cancel the original appointment for us since we can't make it and reschedule but made it clear that it wouldn't affect her benefit claim as she could see we have been in touch and are actively seeking a home assessment. In the meantime she said to get back in touch with the GP to get the fax re-sent, however, the GP is now on holiday. A second date for the assessment at the centre has now been sent to us because of the first cancellation but we are still trying to arrange a home visit. My concern is that the second date will pass and the individuals who are responsible for arranging the home visit won't have the information or won't have made a decision because of the length of time it takes to arrange a home visit, which I'm told will take around 3 weeks. Just wanted to share my concerns and get any advice on what you may know will help our situation. I read that the appointment can only be cancelled once in line with DWP process. Will this affect her claim if we need to cancel again while waiting to arrange a home visit?

Many thanks for any advice offered!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #232353 by BIS
Hi Mel123

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I would contact your GPs Practice. Even if the GP is on holiday - if a fax was already sent then there must be a copy. Can the practice manager (if they have one) not send it again?

I would also inform the DWP that your GP is away and you are trying to get another copy of the fax. - at least that will be on record, however, if it is not sorted out in time and you do not attend the second date at the assessment centre then the claim will be closed.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.