× Members

ESA Home visit Assessors- suitably qualified?

More
4 years 10 months ago #232560 by Billis
Having recently received a copy of the medical report form from my successful home assessment, I noticed that the assessor has ticked the option box under the heading, 'Approved Disability Analyst' as: Registered Physiotherapist. I just wonder how his profession qualifies him to evaluate people like myself with a long term mental health condition and its affects on day to day activities? Is this common practice and I wonder how would a tribunal consider this when reaching their decisions? Food for thought

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232561 by Gordon
MR H

The official line is that all assessors have to pass training set by the DWP and this includes assessing claimants with mental health issues, so you cannot assume that a Physiotherapist was unable to provide a proper recommendation to the DWP.

That said if you can show that they have made assumptions on your capabilities that an assessor with formal training in mental health issues would not have made then you may be able to undermine the report but be aware, this could result in a new assessment.

A Tribunal is more likely to entertain an argument on this basis than Decision Maler.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #232577 by Billis
Thank you Gordon, I wasn't aware of the assessors training set by the DWP. Having had a successful assessment outcome I wasn't angling to challenge the decision, just curious as to the expertise of the assessors when dealing with so many people with vastly varied conditions and there effects.

Best wishes

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.