× Members

mental health and assessment.

More
4 years 11 months ago #232794 by wilton
mental health and assessment. was created by wilton
Being Power of Attorney/ Appointee and full time carer for my wife who suffers long term severe mental depression and is attending her face to face change over from dla to pip next week I am extremely concerned as to how she will act and respond as a large part of her problems involve poor social engagement,extreme anxiety,poor concentration and I know all the questioning will cause her to just shut down.I have been informed I will only be allowed minimal involvement and I can visualise the assessor feeling she is not co-operating and ending the assessment if they are not mental health trained other than a weeks course.Is there any way I can be allowed more input to the assessment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #232802 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic mental health and assessment.
Hi Ginger

How much you are allowed to speak on behalf of your wife (even as her appointee) will partially depend on your assessor. Before the assessment starts you can ask the assessor if they have read the information you submitted and remind them that as her appointee, there may be times during the assessment where it might be necessary for you to speak on her behalf due to her mental distress and any other medical issues.

The fact is that the assessor will want to hear from your wife, even if she then consequently shuts down. It's not always easy, but try and work with the assessor. All the assessors have had some training to deal with people with mental health conditions.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: wilton

More
4 years 11 months ago #232803 by Anna
Replied by Anna on topic mental health and assessment.
You may be lucky and get a mental health nurse who does the assessment. Ask for the assessors profession at the beginning. You can speak on your wife’s behalf at times, but they will want to hear directly from your wife. If your wife is struggling, then you can step in.

More
4 years 11 months ago #232806 by Tullulah
Replied by Tullulah on topic mental health and assessment.
Hi Ginger

I recently had my assessment and my husband came with me. I suffer from mental health problems. The assessor could see I was distressed and I had a panic attack ( she left the roomto get me water) . My husband had noted down each of the criteria with his relevant points. The assessor allowed him to speak and I would input if I was able to. Hope this helps, good luck.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.