× Members

ESA 50 FORM

More
4 years 10 months ago #232849 by wilk
ESA 50 FORM was created by wilk
I am in the process of filing in the ESA50 for my husband. He had a brain injury so the problems he has relate mainly to the mental health questions which I have completed in draft form.
I am struggling with the question "moving around and using steps" on the physical questions. His brain injury means he has problems with balance and co-ordination - so does this make this question relevant even though these physical problems were caused by a brain injury?
He also has type 1 Diabetes and because of his balance and co-ordination problems it means the effort of walking causes him to have more frequent hypos. Is all this relevant under this question?.
I was thinking that if i will automatically score 0 points for being able to walk more than 200m theres no point spending too long over the above details? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Also he can walk over 200m. but not safely, without having to stop or repeatedly. but if i tick "200 metrers or more" does that mean you get awarded 0 points?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #232870 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA 50 FORM
Hi Wilk

I think you have answered your own question, can your husband walk over 200m repeatedly and safely? If your husband cannot repeat the task due to severe pain, hypos or exhaustion then I would tick one of the other boxes and explain why you ticked that box. If you have any supporting evidence then send it in with your form.

If hypo's are caused by your husband's walking then it is very relevant and I would add the information, one of the question they will ask is how frequent are the hypos, when was the last one?

Gary
@ESA

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Gary.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232888 by wilk
Replied by wilk on topic ESA 50 FORM
Thankyou.
One other question relating to Q7 communication _-hearing and reading.
THE descriptors only relate to sensory impairments of hearing and reading so if the problems with reading and listening are because of cognitive problems with interpreting language and making sense of it, can I not write it here?
There is not a communication.question under the mental heath descriptors?

More
4 years 10 months ago #232889 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA 50 FORM
wilk

Just to remind you ESA is not a walking test, it is a Mobility test! In addition to your walking, it considers your ability to self-propel a manual wheelchair over the same distances, you do not need to be using a wheelchair or even to own one for it to be considered. SO even if you can show your walking is restricted unless you can also show that you cannot self-propel the wheelchair you will still not score points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #232892 by wilk
Replied by wilk on topic ESA 50 FORM
Ok thankyou. I will look at that question again.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232945 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA 50 FORM

wilk wrote: Thankyou.
One other question relating to Q7 communication _-hearing and reading.
THE descriptors only relate to sensory impairments of hearing and reading so if the problems with reading and listening are because of cognitive problems with interpreting language and making sense of it, can I not write it here?
There is not a communication.question under the mental heath descriptors?

I'm afraid I don't think you will be able to score for this.

Even if you could show that the cognitive problems are the result of a physical condition such as a brain injury the requirement for the limitations to be the result of a sensory impairment would still prevent you scoring.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: wilk

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.