× Members

pip prepare a meal

More
4 years 10 months ago #232894 by riget
pip prepare a meal was created by riget
Hi,
So stuck at first question, Preparing food 1e/1f what would be the reasoning behind the question "Needs assistance to prepare or cook a meal" as this gives you 4 points, if I need assistance then surely "I" can't do it? How much do you have to be able to do or not do, to get the 8 points?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232900 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic pip prepare a meal
Hi Riget

For the purpose of personal independence payment (PIP), the law states that “supervision” means the continuous presence of another person for the purpose of ensuring the safety of the claimant.

So to score four points it means a person can prepare a simple meal, but only with someone there to supervise or assist. To score eight points a person cannot prepare a simple meal safely or reliably even with assistance. (eg someone with severe multiple sclerosis who has lost all feeling and movement in their hands - this is just one example - there are plenty more).

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: riget

More
4 years 10 months ago #232911 by riget
Replied by riget on topic pip prepare a meal
Hi, I'm an amputee right hip disarticulation so I need both hands to walk with crutches, I could do the preparing with my hands but it's the carrying of the pots and the plate I couldn't do, so would assist cover someone doing all the carrying?

Thanks.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232913 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic pip prepare a meal
Hi Riget

Yes, if you have someone to carry the plates and put things in the over - that is assist.

If you are unable to walk with one crutch - make sure that you say so (or they may make an unfair assumption you could walk and carry even though you are an amputee!)

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: riget

More
4 years 10 months ago #232933 by riget
Replied by riget on topic pip prepare a meal
Ok cheers, I'm just at the point of filling in the form and seeing if I can appeal when they only give 4 points, someone posted on here saying they got enhanced for both care and mobility for being a full leg amputee but they haven't responded. I'll just tick the yes box to needing help then explain my wife just tells me to get out the kitchen as I just get in the way, and the only time I'd need to get my own dinner is when the wife's away, then it's sandwiches or a trip to the chippy.
What a bonkers law who makes these up?
It's like saying I can fix a washing machine if I hold a screwdriver while someone else does the work.
The only time I'd need to cook my own dinner is when no one else is here.

Thanks.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.