× Members

ESA50 form extension

• Whistler_Lightspeed
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #233229 by Whistler_Lightspeed
ESA50 form extension was created by Whistler_Lightspeed
Good day,

My wife who has autism/significant processing issues and several appointments at the moment is overwhelmed with things to sort out alongside completing her ESA50 for a review.

I phoned the DWP this morning and asked for an extension to be told we couldn't have one at all and that we had to instead fill in the part of the ESA50 on page 3 that states 'Are you sending this questionnaire back later than the date we asked you to in the enclosed letter?' Please tell us why.

The man on the phone then said it would be up to the person who makes the decisions on claims at the DWP to decide if what we filled in as our reason is acceptable.

I cannot believe they can do this. So, my question is, can they and are we really not entitled to an extension? Will her benefits be stopped if the form is late and they don't agree with the decision we write on page 3?

Due to her autism condition, it causes my wife distress to not know the specifics regarding timescales or dates and so now she will feel under tremendous pressure to still have to stick to the original date because it will cause her more distress to not know whether she will be judged entirely based on what she puts in answer to the question on page 3.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #233233 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic ESA50 form extension
Hi Whistler

The ESA legislation does not provide for the extension of the period allocated to complete the ESA50.

Whilst we would not recommend any claimant to do so, it is possible to return the ESA50 late, however, you will have to show ‘good cause’ for the late return and you claim may be delayed as a result. Examples of ‘good cause’ are:

whether the claimant was outside Great Britain at the relevant time;
the claimant’s state of health at the relevant time; and
the nature of any disability the claimant has.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whistler_Lightspeed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.