× Members

Home assessments, what happens?

More
4 years 10 months ago #233492 by Paul PIP
Home assessments, what happens? was created by Paul PIP
Hi

My wife has a home assessment next week.
Any different to a face to face?
Wondered what peoples experience was?
Are they checking for adaptations an aids etc?

Kind regards

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #233495 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Home assessments, what happens?
Hi Paul

A Home Visit is the same as going to an assessment centre in that the assessor is trying to find out about the claimant's ability to meet the criteria. You can read about the sort of questions they will ask you from the PIP guide. The list of questions is not an exhaustive one and the ones they ask can depend on what you have already told them and the evidence sent in. Your wife should be prepared that they may ask something unexpected.

The length of the time of the assessment on average is about 1 to 1/2 hrs but can be longer for some people. (The record seems to be 4, but this is extreme).

Your wife may be asked to do some simple physical tests (if she's claiming mobility). She can refuse if it is going to cause additional pain, but she needs to explain why.

They are not checking anything in your home and they only go into the room which you invite them into.

As you can read from other posts - some people have good experiences and others do not. Best to try and keep an open mind.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul PIP

More
4 years 10 months ago #233504 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Home assessments, what happens?
I am 68 and been on dla for 20 years i had a stroke 5 years ago and still getting over it i am diabetic and i do have osteoarthritis and a degenerative spine sorry for the essay they sent me a text saying i might have to have a assessment?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.