× Members

Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words

More
4 years 10 months ago #233549 by Gay
Is it a "rule" that, if a visually impaired person is awarded "b. Needs to use an aid or appliance, other than spectacles or contact lenses, to be able to read or understand either basic or complex written information. 2 points" they cannot be awarded points for using a similar aid for preparing food ( eg reading instructions on a microwaveable meal) or managing therapy (eg medication instructions).
If so, is there somewhere that this and other "rules" are laid down?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #233552 by Gordon
Gay

No, there isn't any such rule, each Descriptor should be evaluated in isolation. If you removed the aid and looked at it from the point of view of someone who is blind or severely sight limited then they would still have the same problems with the other activities and should still score based on those problems.

Why do you ask?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #233555 by Gay
I ask because the MR report states: "Not being able to read instructions on tins, reading use by dates or reading prescriptions is not considered as it is addressed under activity 8, reading." This is similar to a comment on the original PIP feedback form. (I don't think much of the way the comment is phrased either but that is another issue!)

More
4 years 10 months ago #233627 by Gordon
Gary

I have heard this before but I cannot find anything in the legislation that supports this as far as I can see this is just the DWP's view, are they saying that a blind claimant can only score for Reading and no other activity which is patently ludicrous?

That said if this is the only argument that you are putting forward for therapy and certainly for Preparing Food then I think you need to think about how you might expand it to a wider set of issues.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #233641 by Gay
I appreciate the point you are making. He has already expanded the scope (and had it disregarded) by stating
• I am not reliably safe as sometimes I cut myself on a kitchen knife because I can't tell the sharp side from the blunt side.
• Not having a 2nd eye means that I lack depth perception. I'm more likely to knock over pots and utensils because of this.
• I always need assistance (even if I do not have any) with chopping ingredients, heating water or oil on the hob and for managing the oven; otherwise it is a slow and sometimes dangerous process.
I have found the following in an assessor's guide, which I will be quoting:

pip-assessment-guide-part-1-assessment-process (page 40): “For each activity area, the HP should use evidence to choose one descriptor which best reflects the claimant's ability to carry out an activity, taking into account whether they need to use aids or appliances ...)”

To my mind, this backs up what you mentioned in your previous message.

Furthermore:

I believe that people with visual disabilities are at a disadvantage throughout the PIP process, as aids to vision are not included in the exemplars, which (in my son's case) allowed the Health Professional and Decision Makers to ignore his evidence of poor vision. This can be seen in the following publication, where there is no reference to aids to vision. My son's HP demonstrably used this checklist when assessing my son:

Personal Independence Payment - How your disability affects you – information booklet (page 7): Aids and appliances in this section might include things like prostheses, perching stool, lightweight pots and pans, easy grip handles on utensils, adapted cutlery and single lever arm taps.

More
4 years 10 months ago #233646 by BIS
Hi Gay

I am not an expert in these things but reading just the three examples that you have given could be tweaked to possible make the difficulties he has clearer.

I would start with a sentence something like this:

As a person with mono sight (one eye), I have difficulty in accurately tracking moving objects, judging distances and perceiving depth.

Now give clear and unequivocal examples.

If your son has no one to assist him, does he avoid cooking and just eat a sandwich or does he cook, but hurt himself - in which case how often? (It has to be more times than not).

If your son cannot tell which is the sharp side of a knife and risks cutting himself does he not use one and wait for someone else to cut for him? Or does he take the risk - in which case how often does he hurt himself? Has he been advised to use some sort of guard or aids? If he has and they're not helpful then say why.

If he struggles with a perception of depth - is he able to judge the depth of water in a pan? If he can't does he actually try to use the hob when he is alone?

(You need to make a clearer picture of the risks - dropping water on the floor, burning himself, cutting himself .... you know the risks - but I would say go into more depth)

BIS

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gay

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.