× Members

Housing element in Universal Credit

More
4 years 10 months ago #233719 by Atonu
Housing element in Universal Credit
I live in a 2-bedroom property with my disabled wife and adult daughter of age 32. It was a privately rented property with monthly rent £1350. My wife was on PIP Daily Living standard rate, I was on Carer's Allowance, we were on Income Support and daughter was in full employment. We were receiving Housing Benefit as £623 fortnightly ( Housing Benefit was £1350 monthly same as our rent, London Housing Allowance is £264 per week in N17 9SJ area for 2 bedroom), daughter was non-dependent and she was exempt from any deduction from Housing Benefit as my wife was on PIP.
Then in Nov 2018 my wife's PIP was stopped and we (myself and wife) had to apply for Universal Credit. We received £1398 monthly out of which £498 for living and £900 for housing. I asked UC why Housing element was so low. They said rent (£1350)was divided by 3 because we three (wife, daughter and I) were on Tenancy Agreement and we received £900 for myself and my wife. They didn't mention any LHA or non-dependent issue.
Then in February 2019 our daughter moved out. I still live in the same property with my wife. My wife won her PIP appeal in June and is now receiving PIP Daily Living standard. But Universal Credit told me that our UC payment of £1398 remain unchanged and it will increase only if I receive Carer's Allowance. Even then housing element of £900 will not increase.
However, in previous system of Housing Benefit we were receiving £623 fortnightly (£1350 monthly) when my wife was on PIP and now only £900 monthly. Are they (UC) calculating Housing element correctly?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #233720 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Housing element in Universal Credit
Atonu

I'm sorry but we don't deal with Housing Benefit on the forum you need to get face to face advice from a trained advisor, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #233724 by Atonu
Replied by Atonu on topic Housing element in Universal Credit
Gordon
I see your point. but this is not about Housing Benefit. This is about Universal Credit which covers housing element. My query is about this. Sooner or later we all are going to be affected by Universal Credit.

More
4 years 10 months ago #233744 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Housing element in Universal Credit
Atonu

You can call it the Housing Element if you want but this is still Housing Benefit :)

It is still administered by your Local Authority not the DWP and the rules and rates that they use are still specific to your LA which is why we cannot offer advice on this area of benefits and why you need to get local advice from someone who is aware of your local information.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #233748 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Housing element in Universal Credit
Hi Atonu

In regards to the housing element when your daughter was living at home, rent is not divided by 3, so you should have applied for a mandatory reconsideration via your journal, as the information you were given was incorrect. if your daughter was over 21 then you would have had your housing element reduced by a non dependant deduction, if under 21 then no non dep deductions.

I come across lots of tenants on UC who have split up and informed by DWP that they will only receive 50% of their housing costs, this is incorrect as you are liable for 100% of the rent so you need to apply for a MR via your journal, seek help from Shelter for advice; england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice

In regards to the housing element in the private sector, you may find this information useful
www.gov.uk/housing-and-universal-credit/...rom-private-landlord

As Gordon stated you may want to seek help from your local advice agency.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.