× Members

ESA forms, should I ask for medical evidence?

More
4 years 10 months ago #234405 by asperritt
I received a Capability for Work form which is scrambling my brain. I have been on ESA Support Group since 2014 and now I have to re-apply, I'm really worried about the possibility of not getting into the support group as my health would suffer if I was forced to do 'work related activities', or even worse be expected to apply for jobs. I have chronic fatigue on top of my disability which includes relying on a powered wheelchair to get out, travel is painful and exhausting and I cant drive or use public transport.

I found a folder in my computer with copies of all my documents from last time which included a letter from my GP. But the new form says I shouldnt request letters specifically for the claim - although the guide from this website seems to advise otherwise!

Unfortunately I moved a few months ago and have only seen my new GP once - I had been with my former dr for years and she knows me much better. So ideally I would like to ask both for supporting letters. But I am very confused about whether I should or not! An if not, can I give my former GP's details for them to contact for more info - would she still have access to my records?
Can anyone advise please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #234416 by BIS
Hi Weeble

I am not sure where you have got the impression that the B&W guide suggests you do not need to send in additional evidence.

"The questionnaire you complete is evidence, as are the fit notes filled in by your GP and the report of the Maximus health professional if you have to have a medical. The more evidence you can submit to support your claim, the better the chances of success. You can submit both medical evidence from your GP and other health professional and non-medical evidence from friends and relatives, amongst others. "

You will have to put down your current GP and your records will have been passed to them. You can always contact your old surgery and see if your old GP would supply a letter. You can put your old GP as a second contact (but the DWP will not contact them). Even if your new one does not know you, you can always go and see them and see if they are willing to supply a letter or will say (as many are) that they will wait until the DWP contact them.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #234430 by Mossy
My last assessment for ESA was 2013 and I was placed in the support group , like wise I am filling out my form at the moment , it’s so stressful

More
4 years 10 months ago #234523 by asperritt
Replied by asperritt on topic ESA forms, should I ask for medical evidence?

BIS wrote:
I am not sure where you have got the impression that the B&W guide suggests you do not need to send in additional evidence.

BIS

The first page of the form says
'Only send us copies of medical or other information if you already have them. Don’t ask or pay for new information or send us original documents.' (my Bold-ing)
So I took that to mean dont ask my GP for a letter. Although I still have a copy of the one my previous GP wrote for my original ESA claim, so I'm planning to use that if I cant ask her for a new letter! Its 5 years old but she mentioned that my condition is permanent and likely to deteriorate, which it has.

Can I ask for clarification about the Descriptors? Do I just need to fulfil one of them to get into the Support Group? If so it would really put my mind at rest alot because I am unable to 'mobilise more than 50 metres' using a walking stick or manual wheelchair, my current physio is trying to get me up to 10 metres with stick on a good day and I cant self-propel a manual chair as my shoulders and hands arent up to it. I use a powered chair to go out and was using it the day I saw my new GP (who referred me for the current round of physiotherapy). Plus I saw an OT before I moved to get a DFG for ramps and a wheelchair lift, so I have several medical professionals who would confirm this.

I should also qualify some of the other descriptors but they are less clear-cut, and also on the 'substantial risk' rules but I've seen so many cases where people have been treated unfairly, I'm really worried that I could be wrongly assessed.

And I really dont want to have to go into full details about some of the questions, my sister is doing the typing for me and there are some things even she isnt entirely aware of, I try not to upset my nearest & dearest more than absolutely necessary.

More
4 years 10 months ago #234526 by BIS
Hi Weeble

Sorry - I didn't read your post properly saying it was on the form. If your doctor is willing to give you an up - to date letter and you can get it free of charge I would do so as our guide suggests. The DWP cannot stop you from requesting one from the GP!

You are correct in thinking that you need to satisfy one of the descriptors to get into the support group, but obviously, it is the assessor who makes the decision.

It is entirely up to you what you ask your sister to write on your form, but be cautious about withholding information which could help your claim.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: asperritt

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.