× Members

PIP - reporting improvement in condition?

More
11 months 4 days ago #280558 by alison_
My son who is 19 receives PIP (higher rate living, lower rate mobility), his conditions are speech and language impairment, autism and dyspraxia. He is 19, claimed PIP at 16 after DLA and I am his appointee. His award is until Oct 2024. For mobility, at the time, he was awarded it because couldn't ask for directions when out walking, couldn't use public transport without assistance, but no physical impairment. In the last year his confidence has grown and he is now using public transport with only prompting rather than assistance and is becoming more adventurous and going further afield. On the other hand he is still not at the level of a typical 19 year old who might be going on holiday abroad without adult help and is finding learning to drive very difficult compared to an average teenager, so there is still need. He has just completed his first year at university with a LOT of support from family, DSA and the uni services so I consider his living needs unchanged, it is just the mobility.

So my question is should I report this change, is it likely to mean a complete reassessment, or is it safe to leave it till his review next year on the basis that between ages 16 and 20 a lot can change for people with his conditions and would be expected? If we leave it to the review are they going to ask when the changes occurred and make him pay it back? Hard because they are gradual. We really, really do not want to get into trouble for overclaiming but on the other hand a complete reassessment is a daunting prospect. If we were found to have overclaimed would it just be a repayment plan or fines etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 4 days ago #280579 by Gary
Hi alison_

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum

That is a hard question to call, the first thing I would do is to use the PIP self-tester; PIP self test
This will give you an indication as to where your son is now before you make a decision.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 4 days ago #280585 by alison_
Replied by alison_ on topic PIP - reporting improvement in condition?
Thank you, I appreciate your response. From the self test he should still be eligible for higher living but not for mobility. If I report this change will they want to do a complete reassessment for both elements?

More
11 months 3 days ago #280591 by Gary
Hi alison_

Yes if you report a change of circumstances, DWP will send you a new claims form to complete and report any changes. You can never guarantee how events will pan out, it will depend on what supporting evidence you send in with the form.

If you kept a copy of the original application you can use that as a guide and add any changes especially on the mobility questions.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 3 days ago #280617 by alison_
Replied by alison_ on topic PIP - reporting improvement in condition?
Thanks, yes, I did keep all the responses I submitted for the initial claim. I'll ring them up and start the ball rolling.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.