× Members

ESA and carers allowance

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #281955 by Callista
ESA and carers allowance was created by Callista
Hi, this is my first time posting.

I am in receipt of ESA. My husband has taken early retirement to become my full time carer. Is he entitled to claim carer's allowance?

I am just completing my ESA Capability for work questionnaire as a review is due so I am sure I will have more questions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #281981 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA and carers allowance
Hi Callista

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum

Your partner cannot claim Carers Allowance if you only get ESA even in the support group, you can only claim CA if :

All of the following must apply:

* you’re 16 or over
* you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
* you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
* you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces (you might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in an EEA country or Switzerland)
* you’re not in full-time education
* you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
* you’re not subject to immigration control
* your earnings are £139 or less a week after tax, National Insurance and expenses

www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Callista

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #281990 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and carers allowance
AND

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
Attendance Allowance
Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
Armed Forces Independence Payment
Child Disability Payment - the middle or highest care rate
Adult Disability Payment - daily living component at the standard or enhanced rate

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Callista

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #282002 by Callista
Replied by Callista on topic ESA and carers allowance
Thank you, he gets a work pension which is more than £139 a week so I'm guessing he can't claim it. I am in receipt of full PIP if that makes any difference.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #282007 by Teresa
Replied by Teresa on topic ESA and carers allowance
For everyone claiming ESA and PIP. My husband and I both get the highest rate of PIP - thanks to the guides on here as well as ESA Support group. ESA have just had to pay me over 10,000 and compensation of 250.00 for not applying the severe disability payment that we were due each week when I got PIP!!! This came about because they missed several of our ESA payments due to the corrections with increased payments in April. My niece wrote and asked for a full investigation about this plus an historical investigation of ALL missed payments, incorrect payments and benefits that should have been apllied or activated with both PIP and ESA. Also, an up to date benefit check. So EVERYBODY whether youre payments are missing or not its maybe an idea to write in and see if you are owed money. This was a big shock. Had those payments not been put in our account and my niece queried it we would not have got a penny!
Good Luck!
Amanda
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.