× Members

In receipt of DLA and turning 66 in 11 months

More
1 month 1 week ago #289692 by bluebare
Hi

I reach 66 in 11 months and I’m expecting a major change in my finances and benefit income. I currently am in receipt of UC (including housing costs), but in some kind ‘halfway house’ in that part of that award is still paid through ESA (single >25 & Support Group). I’m assuming this will stop the day before my 66th birthday and at some point I will be invited to claim State Pension, Pension Credit and Housing Benefit.

My question is regarding my DLA, for which I have a lifetime award under special rules and receive High Rate Care & Mobility. If I’m understanding this correctly, the DLA will not carry over, BUT as I have been claiming a disability benefit I can make a new claim for PIP when I reach 66 rather than have to claim AA, which doesn’t of course have a mobility component. I’m assuming this is all going to impact a claim for HB and Council Tax Relief, which currently is a 100% award. I have no other income.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289718 by Gordon
b

Both your ESA and UC will terminate on the day before your 66th birthday.

Your DLA will remain in payment past your birthday although at some time you will be asked to claim PIP. There is no requirement for you to claim AA.

You will be invited to claim your State Pension about three months before your birthday, you can make an advanced claim for Pension Credit at the same time, subject to your circumstances.

You may also be able to make a claim for Housing Benefit as a pensioner.

With so many things potentially changing my best advice is to get local qualified help, see

advicelocal.uk/

Gordon

You will be asked to claim your

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.