× Members

PIP - Washing & Bathing

More
1 month 1 week ago #289757 by riverside
PIP - Washing & Bathing was created by riverside
I am currently filling in the PIP2 form. I need prompting to be able to wash or bathe most of the time. Do you think the answer below goes enough detail about the reasons why I have difficulty washing and bathing and why I need support with this? Also, how many points do you think this answer would score?

---I avoid washing and bathing most of the time due to feeling uncomfortable with my body and not having the motivation to do so due to depression. For these reasons, I often do not wash certain parts of my body for weeks. My parents have to prompt me to wash, or otherwise I would not wash on most days.

I often hear sounds from the neighbours whilst I am washing or bathing, which makes me feel anxious and put off washing or bathing as long as possible. I also do not like it that neighbours can most likely hear me in the bathroom whilst I am taking a shower or bath, and do not shower at all in the evenings or on weekends when most neighbours are home.

I have had suicidal thoughts about my appearance many times and planned ways to commit suicide and also self-harmed at times due to being unhappy about my appearance. Therefore, I do not like to get undressed and see my body in the shower, as I find this triggering and it often leaves to negative and depressive thoughts. I have suffered from body dysmorphia, which was worst during my early twenties, when I would look in the mirror and think I looked like a monster. At times, I have felt suicidal and hopeless after taking a shower, which is one of the reasons why I avoid washing and bathing. So, feeling unhappy about my appearance or seeing my body undressed is a big trigger for me and can lead to suicidal thoughts and self-harm.

My parents need to check-in with me about how I am feeling and check on my symptoms, or I would be at risk of harming myself. I was admitted to psychiatric hospital for 6 months when my GP was very concerned about my wellbeing and state of mind, and I was unable to look after myself or engage with mothers. So, my parents need to support me in my daily life and check that I am feeling okay and looking after myself, to help make sure I will not be hospitalised again. I live alone, but my parents will often communicate with me by phone call or text messages or visit me at home.
4a. Can wash and bathe unaided. (0 points)
4b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to wash or bathe. (2 points)
4c. Needs supervision or prompting to be able to wash or bathe. (2 points)
4d. Needs assistance to be able to wash either their hair or body below the waist. (2 points)
4e. Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower. (3 points)
4f. Needs assistance to be able to wash their body between the shoulders and waist. (4 points)
4g. Cannot wash and bathe at all and needs another person to wash their entire body. (8 points)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 6 days ago #289767 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic PIP - Washing & Bathing
Hi riverside,

I have approved your post - unfortunately as a moderator on this forum, we are not allowed to specifically help in relation to answering questions or guessing what points you would score. You would need to follow the guides that are based within. Just remember that what applies to you 50% or more of the time, is what your answer should be pushing towards.....such as 4 days per week, you feel, you are, you do.....etc etc

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 6 days ago #289784 by Blueberry Owl
Replied by Blueberry Owl on topic PIP - Washing & Bathing
Hi Riverside

I’m no expert on any of this as I’m another claimant. However your potential reply on this section looks really good and very comprehensive.

If I were to see if there might be any gaps to consider, then it would be about whether you need any aids? By this I mean something that might help you in the shower to blot out potential sounds of the neighbours like one of those waterproof shower radios?

I’ve never used one so I have no idea how effective they are but if you would be helped to be distracted from the neighbour noise it might be worth trying and if it works you may be able to list it as an aid?

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, LL26, riverside

More
1 month 4 days ago #289824 by riverside
Replied by riverside on topic PIP - Washing & Bathing
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that my answer seems detailed enough. Yes, I have since added information to this answer about aids.

More
1 month 2 days ago #289853 by Wendy Woo
Replied by Wendy Woo on topic PIP - Washing & Bathing
Hello Blueberry Owl,

This is really helpful - thank you. My (autistic) son always uses something like this to listen to podcasts very loudly when he is in the shower. This is quite annoying for the rest of us at home and, as he has sensitive hearing, I've never really understood why. It's no good to ask him - he never gives a satisfactory explanation for anything he does which might seem odd to others! (One of the reasons why answering PIP questions is so difficult.) But your response has made me think he might be using it to block out other sounds and, if so, it works!

Thanks again.

Wendy Woo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blueberry Owl

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.