× Members

Shouldn't capital limits have been increased by now?

More
1 month 1 week ago #289764 by PatGPT
Hi,

I was just thinking it's surely been at least 15 years since the last increase in the capital thresholds. If I recall the lower threshold was £3k for those below pension age around the financial crash wasn't it?

When was the last time before that it was increase or was it £3k through the whole of the 90s?

I mean I can't see the government being willing to increase it but surely it should be given how much inflation has eroded savings?
The topic has been locked.
More
1 month 1 week ago #289771 by Chris
Hi PatGPT,

I'm only aware of 2 limits. One being £6,000 to £16,000 which affects your universal credit amount, and Housing Benefit are different, You can have up to £10,000 in savings before it affects your claim, if you’re over State Pension age.
I do totally agree if this is what you're referring too, but as for how long this has been in place, I've no idea. I only really started getting familiar with UC from 2020 onwards, and there's so much more when it comes to moderating that I am still to learn. Maybe's one of our other claimants has an idea ? If not, one of the other mods will likely know, as they've years of experience when doing this.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
More
1 month 1 week ago #289780 by PatGPT
Hi Chris,

I'm saying that the lower threshold was changed from £3k to £6k about 15 years ago.

I'm asking how long it was £3k.
More
1 month 1 week ago #289785 by adam33
I think it went up to £6k in 2009 as you say, the £16k figure where it cuts off completely has apparently been the same since 1990
More
1 month 1 week ago #289788 by Gordon
This topic is not going to go anywhere productive so I am locking it to further posts.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris
Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.