× Members

Advice re: heart attack, and liver problems

More
1 month 1 week ago #289792 by Souter
My brother receives the enhanced rate of care component. He has severe mental health problems. 4 months ago he had a heart attack and since this time the day their say he has problems with his liver. He didn’t drink and they are taking bloods from him every month.
My question should he apply for the mobility component. As I say he received the enhanced rate for care .

Kind regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289798 by LL26
Hi Souter,
Your brother can certainly apply for a mobility award, but he won't get this unless he can demonstrate that he has poor walking ability ie less than 200m due to eg pain or breathlessness, or physical restriction. Alternatively if the mental health issues cause difficulties planning or following journeys he can gain points under the 1st mobility descriptor.
Certainly given heart problems and mental health issues, it seems likely that a mobility element could be awarded. However, you will need to consider individual descriptors and match these against the specific limitations that your brother has. You can find more information in the members' guides.
If your brother does fall within the descriptors and could achieve at least 8 points, then it may be worthwhile asking DWP for a review. Be aware that if you contact DWP for a review then this could mean having to have another assessment.
If you believe there is sufficient limitation to qualify you can get all the evidence in order before requesting the review. Medical evidence will be important so you can gather this now. Consider walking ability, where does pain/breathlessness etc kick in? Consider fatigue and what happens the next day/s. Maybe you can measure eg by pacing out a distance to confirm walking ability. Make a note of any falls/stumbles etc.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Souter, anees292

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.