× Members

PIP review - What's ahead?

More
1 month 1 week ago #289796 by Capt Willard
PIP review - What's ahead? was created by Capt Willard
Hi to all.

So, here is some background.

Up until 2019, I was receiving the standard rate both for mobility and daily living.

Then a face to face review happened, and I was awarded 0 points, yes zero, and also,
bear in mind that Covid was also just happening.

So, I applied for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) and (like may others) struggled.

But it motivated me to respond and when the DWP saw my MR response, and a supporting letter from my GP, to the Tribunal, all of sudden I received a letter from them, telling me that I was on the enhanced rate and all back payments were made.

Sometime later I received a letter saying that my next review will be in 2025, but (as has become clear form other B & W member's) the DWP are now sending them before such extensions are due.

So I now have to complete the review for PIP (form 1043) and like the last time I have now signed up as B & W member, and will use the manuals, as they did help the last time.

One final point, I have been given an extension for completing the form. It was worth the 50 minute wait on the phone.

I know I have a lot of reading to do and I will return to the forum to ask any questions, but for now could someone kindly tell me what is in store. When will I get a response, will it be a face to face or telephone assessment? And what are my chances given whats happened that I may just get a paper based review?

Thanks, in advance,
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289802 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP review - What's ahead?
Hi Capt Willard

Since PiP was introduced, review forms have been sent out up to a year before an award's end date—whether from the original award date or since they have had to extend award dates. Many people have had a nasty shock when they received an extension and then soon after received a review form. This is supposed to give them time to process the award before the end date runs out, but that doesn't always happen.

As for what will happen next - it is almost impossible to give you any accurate time scales because they have been so varied.
When you send your form back, you may or may not get an acknowledgement - (it's why we suggest people pay to have tracked mail). That acknowledgement could be within days or it could take a couple of weeks. You may or may not get a text saying that your form has been sent to one of the assessment services. This could be within a matter of weeks (3 or 4), but it could be as long as 6 months. Some people have been waiting up to eighteen months. What type of assessment will you be offered? The majority of people get offered a telephone assessment. Only a small number of assessments are face-to-face, and those that are take place at an assessment centre. They are still not conducting them in people's homes. Less than 27% of assessments are paper-based.

If you want a particular type of assessment, I would request it on your review form - in the space where you can add any additional information or put it on a separate sheet. Whatever people request - the DWP is not legally obliged to agree to. You can make two requests for a change of assessment type.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , UB40 Rumrunner, Capt Willard

More
1 month 1 week ago #289805 by Capt Willard
Replied by Capt Willard on topic PIP review - What's ahead?
Thanks BIS. Can I just ask, how does one ask what type assessment is prefered, and can I request a paper based (or even telephone) given the fact I was awarded 0 points, then after an MR (please see above) I was given enhanced. Thanks in advance.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289810 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic PIP review - What's ahead?
Hi Capt Willard,

There is usually an option on the forms asking what type of assessment you would like. I've always gone telephone call and paper based, as the thought of travelling or confronting strangers is just way too much to cope with.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner, Capt Willard

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.