× Members

Contribution based ESA support group and inheritance

More
1 week 6 days ago #290364 by Junipermoon
I am on ESA contribution based, and in support group. Towards end of last year, I inherited my dad’s ex council house. It was sold and I called DWP to say there was going to be money going into my bank account (I was also executor for my dad’s estate and it was all passing through my bank account). I wasn’t asked how much or for any details. I was told that it wouldn’t affect my ESA as it was contribution based and that all I needed to tell them was if I moved house. I have now moved house and wrote to tell them the new address as I was told that’s all they needed to know.

I have been so worried since though. Even though I know that contribution based ESA isn’t means tested, I’m still worried that at some point I’ll discover I’ve massively misunderstood?

I have a number of health conditions including autism spectrum disorder and I am just worried I’ve misunderstood.

When I claimed, I wasn’t ever asked about income or assets of any kind (I had had to cease self employment and had no assets but my husband worked).

I just need reassurance that I’ve not misunderstood. The DWP ‘voice’ at the other end of the phone literally said, “we don’t need to know about any money. You can be a millionaire and still get this benefit…” (am not by the way).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 6 days ago #290380 by Gary
Hi Junipermoon

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

As you are in receipt of CB ESA then what the DWP have told you is correct, do not panic or worry, enjoy your new property, if you change address let the DWP know your new address, if not your ESA will get suspended.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Junipermoon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.