× Members

Questions about applying for PIP

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290412 by Benson
Questions about applying for PIP was created by Benson
So I have been in the support group for ESA for over a decade, oddly I never tried to claim PIP even though I use aids to help me every day. I guess I just didn't want to have to go through 2 different renewals each time when 1 is stressful enough. I scored 18 + 12 on your calculator.

But if I decide to try for PIP, I hear we now have to ring for the forms rather than just download like with ESA, any reasons for this method ? Also, if I decide I want to do it via forms rather than phone do I have to tell them on that first phone call or can I skip the first phone call altogether ?

When it comes to giving evidence, do I just send in doctors forms ?

Do they check my other benefits, so will they see I am on ESA already ?

Also, I am still on legacy ESA, would getting PIP mean my ESA automatically goes to UC ?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 22 hours ago #290421 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Questions about applying for PIP
Hello Benson,
Trying to tick off your questions in turn...
The process for initiating a PIP claim is very different ESA. I always tell people that they have to apply to apply. The first phone call is a fairly short one which goes through basic information, most of which you will then have to put onto the form which they send you. (Or put onto the online application if you live an area where that is active.) It is possible to write to apply, but it is a painful process and in my experience not always successful. If you are someone who does not like using the phone it is fine to have someone supporting you. The DWP will take you through security and you can then just hand over the phone. Unlike the PIP helpline which is notorious for taking ages to answer the PIP application line is generally pretty quick.
Evidence - the more evidence that you are telling the truth on your form the better. I have known claims succeed with no evidence, but it is harder. Doctors letters are good, copy of repeat prescription, letter from people know you / care for you, copies of hospital appointments etc etc. They are all good at helping to support the picture you are painting.
I am not sure whether or not they check other benefits at the first stage, they certainly do if it gets to an appeal.
I have never heard of a PIP application pushing someone from legacy to UC, and I can see no logic for it doing so. Perhaps our members will be able to share their experience.
Wishing you success with your application!
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

More
2 weeks 20 hours ago #290425 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Questions about applying for PIP
Benson

Applying for PIP is explained in the PIP Claim guide starting on page 12.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.