× Members

Managed Migration and tighter mobilising descriptors in ESA/UC

More
1 week 5 days ago #290434 by micksville
A brief enquiry regarding news this week of the government intention to bring forward managed migration for ESA IR claimants to UC. The DWP Minister stated last year that the new tighter mobilizing descriptors for WCA will not start until 2025 and stressed that it would only affect new claimants. As far as I can see this timeline hasn't changed when this weeks statement from the Prime Minister was issued. My question is, that if one undergoes managed migration to UC after April 2025, when I assume these tighter rules begin, would that claimant then be classed as a "new claimant" to UC and thus be subject to the harsher mobility descriptors? Again, if one migrates before start of 2025 tax year next April would that claimant still be assessed under current descriptors for mobilizing? Lastly, what would happen if one was migrated and filled in a medical questionaire before April 2025 but the medical backlogs meant the actual medical only takes place post April 2025?
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #290482 by Gary
Hi Hicksville

All managed Migration claimants will be new UC claimants.

I cannot answer your second question as I have not yet seen the details.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville, VIA

More
1 week 3 days ago #290500 by micksville
Do we have any I dication Gary, that this migration is starting now, as we speak or is it planned for after election probably in Autumn? I.e. in a new parliament? Or are DWP keeping silent on that?

More
1 week 3 days ago #290514 by Gordon
micksville

The change in criteria will not occur until next year and only if the Conservatives are re-elected.

The shortened timescale sounds to me to be election speak, whilst there is no specific reason why they should not start migrating ESA claimants now, the issue has always been one of capacity.

Tax Credit claimants were prioritised because HMRC's TC computer system is literally falling apart but there will come a point, at least in certain regions, where the number of remaining TC claimants falls below the local DWP's capacity to transfer them and it is likely then that ESA claimants will start to be moved.

Whether this project will be completed by the end of 2025 is debatable. I have fond memories of the Incapacity Benefit move to ESA that was supposed to take a couple of years ending in 2013, it actually completed in 2023! Also, the DWP has been reducing staffing levels and has had to move staff from back offices to the call systems due to high staff turnover. None of these suggest that the 2025 timescale is doable.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville, libra1, wibblum, ivyfox, Gaddy, VIA, The Dog Mother

More
1 week 2 days ago #290556 by micksville
Thanks Gordon. I've always valued your opinion on here. Hope you're right on this one. I might just scrape through to state pension age before I'm made to hoop jump for them
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

More
1 week 2 days ago #290557 by micksville
Must say though Gordon, Labour's reticence on all this isn't exactly giving me hope either. Jyst have to wait and see if they give non evasive answers if pressed
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.