× Members

PIP appeal process

More
1 week 4 days ago #290444 by Buchanan21
PIP appeal process was created by Buchanan21
Hi,

My adult daughter applied for PIP and has recently received the decision which was 0 points for everything.
We are going to disagree with the decision which was both inaccurate and very upsetting.
They seemed to twist everything to their advantage!

Do I need to ask them to explain why or go straight to mandatory consideration?

Do I need to request a mandatory consideration or just do it by sending a letter detailing the inaccuracies in the letter?

Also do I need to use their form or just write a letter?
Please could you explain the process.

Many thanks.
Janice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #290470 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP appeal process
Hi Janice

I don't know whether your forum name is your real name - but if it is - please change it. These posts all appear on the internet and we don't want anyone to be able to identify you. Check the link and follow the instructions if you need them. benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum#two

I'm sorry that your daughter received zero points - unfortunately that is quite a common occurrence. Have a look at the Guide to PIP Appeals - it has all the information about putting in for a Mandatory Reconsideration. If you haven't already, you need to get hold of the assessment report - it's called a PA4 and you can ring the DWP and request it. It normally takes 7 - 10 days to arrive. Hopefully you will get more idea of why she failed to score any points at all. The report should say a little more than the decision letter. Scroll down the page for the guide benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

There is also a guide that will tell you the best ways to challenge a medical report - that's why you need the PA4.

You only have one month from the date on the decision letter to get in your MR.

You say there are a lot of inaccuracies in the report. These can be infuriating - but although you may want to point them all out - make sure that your focus in on the questions and the scoring of points. Say throughout your MR why you think the score was wrong, the evidence you have to refute what they say and what you think she should have scored.

If the report is that bad (inaccurate) - you may want to put in a complaint. This is a separate process. One member has recently had success with this and was glad she did it simultaneously. Miraculously, they agreed her report was below standard, and it was redone. I should say this is quite unusual, but she was fortunate that she had asked for the assessment to be recorded so it was easy to refute what was written in the report. Not everyone has the energy to make a complaint as well - but be aware there is little point in using the MR to complain about things like inaccurate spelling.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buchanan21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.