× Members

Eligibility for PIP

More
1 week 4 days ago #290532 by Dotty
Eligibility for PIP was created by Dotty
Hello, I’m wondering if I meet the eligibility criteria to apply for PIP, I have had my condition for 9 yrs but it’s become progressively worse and since Aug last year I’ve been unable to work, however I am undergoing treatment and further treatment is planned which may or may not be successful would I be considered as I’m confused by the wait and expected/prognosis period times.
Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #290536 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Eligibility for PIP
Hello Dotty,
This is a difficult one to answer since the theory may differ from the practice.
I am assuming that you have taken our quick self assessment test to see if you are currently entitled to PIP www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip
If you have and it indicates that you are probably entitled then I would urge you to claim.
What should happen is that when you have an assessment they should decide what award you were entitled to on the day you applied. The possibility that you might get better in the future should be reflected in the length of the award, not whether or not you get an award.
That is the theory. The practice that I have experienced is that the DWP say that you are in the process of getting treatment, having had that you will then be 100% fit and therefore you are not entitled to an award. This is wrong, and it is a decision which can be reversed at MR and/or appeal.
So, yes go for it. In your application focus on your current condition, I personally I would not mention how it may or may not be in the future. But be prepared to fight for the right outcome.
I wish you all the best,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 4 days ago #290559 by Dotty
Replied by Dotty on topic Eligibility for PIP
Yes I have taken the test and looks like I am eligible in that respect.
Thanks so much for the advice to go for it, as I have been sent the forms but was considering not applying as its all too much at the moment and I began to doubt I would be eligible as I am due more treatment which I'm obviously hoping is effective.
Thanks again :)

More
1 week 4 days ago #290575 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Eligibility for PIP
Hi Dotty,
If you make a claim, it is helpful if you get medical evidence etc ready before you make the claim.
You may find it useful to write a disability diary. Thinking about the descriptors- what can you do, and how well do you do, what happens when you try, how long does it take, what goes right/wrong, what help do you need, may be you use an aid, does it work? What about pain levels, accidents, stumbles, falls? How far can you walk? What prevents you going further? Can you repeat the descriptor activity throughout the whole day? How well can you do the activity? Think about fatigue, breathlessness, pain etc. Also note down when things go well - why is it a better day? Did you have any panic attacks or anxiety, what triggered this.
EtcEtc.
Any information you can write will help you answer the questions on the claim form, and also will serve as a contemporaneous record of your disability at the time of your claim.
If you need further help about a specific descriptor please re-post.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dotty

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.