× Members

GP refusing to supply letter confirming my health conditions

More
1 week 2 days ago #290625 by DJT71
Hi. I hope you can help. I have contacted my GP today asking if they can issue me with a letter confirming my medical conditions. I advised that this was for PIP purposes. My GP has refused to issue letter. Can I appeal this? How can I provide proof to PIP if GP refuses to write letter? I only want them to confirm the conditions that I have, not how they affect me. I have just started my claim with PIP and this has happened
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 2 days ago #290633 by Gary
Hi DJT71

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

We have heard from members who have been able to download their medical record on line, you could ask the reception to print off your medical file. to get a copy of all your records you can wite a letter and ask for a subject access request, the Dr's then have up to 40 days to give you a copy of everything they have on file.

Quite a few GP's ask for a payment to produce a supporting letter, some of the letters produced are not worth the paper they are written on.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA, C

More
1 week 2 days ago #290642 by traceytracey
Hi DJT71

I work in a doctors surgery. Just as at reception for a "brief summary" they can print that there. If you want a full summary then you have to request it in writing, this can take up to 28 days. I would suggest reading whatever version you get and ONLY send the pages that help you.

Hope that makes sense
Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , ivyfox, Catherine, VIA

More
1 week 1 day ago #290643 by Bud
DJT71, I requested my medical records a few years ago, don’t be overwhelmed by them. Now I look online at them & screenshot anything of use, then print it off & add it to my folder ready for when they come for me again. I must agree that some of the hospital letters that you get or comments they make are not always that helpful. But whether you send off for your medical records or look online, you can pick out the best, or should I say worst bits as evidence. As Gary already said, some of them do you no favours at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , VIA

More
1 week 1 day ago #290647 by VIA
Dear DJT71,

I used to get and pay for GP letters but that GP knew me over many years and saw me deteriorating and could say so in his letters.
When I changed surgery it all changed as I am rarely seen by the same GP or clinician, plus due to mobility issue I prefer phone consultations if possible.
As a result for my esa and pip, I did not ask a letter of support from my new surgery and was very successful with my esa and pip. I even did a successful mandatory reconsideration a few years and I won and got an increase in descriptors points and money.

However I asked my new GP surgery for all my printed records going back many years to a specific date I got them for free.
For instance I could see internal communication from the physiotherapist to my GP about discharging me as there was nothing else they could do for me, and also commenting on how poorly I walked/moved.

If you register/log in to your only GP record, a lot of internal documents could be relevant to you.
If you click on my name on this forum, kindly note I am just a member of this forum and not a moderator, but I posted a few very extensive posts going into details on how you can get evidence from this online record with your GP and giving you examples of what you can see.
For instance at present on my online record I can see a recent GP referral to MSK for an ultrasound. Many of those documents can comment you are in pain, have problems doing certain movements etc.

Best wishes
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Wendy Woo

More
1 week 1 day ago #290650 by Catherine

If you click on my name on this forum, kindly note I am just a member of this forum and not a moderator, but I posted a few very extensive posts going into details on how you can get evidence from this online record with your GP and giving you examples of what you can see.

Jumping to object to the possible sentiment that members have less to offer than mods. That is so not true! I am sure that the experience of the body of members here is far greater than that of all the mods put together. It is possible that mods might know more bits of technical stuff, but very often there is nothing to beat practical first hand experience and we value everyone's contributions!

Thank you for your contributions to this site and our community!
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, KABTT , Wendy Woo

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.